Not Waiting

Yo's POV

Once Forth left I quickly sent a text to Pha. He probably forgot or got too busy, but even so I don't want him to worry. I tried calling. I waited for a long time. Sorry, but I couldn't wait anymore.

I felt guilty for bringing up how long I waited, but I didn't want him to think I just left. I don't know why that still worried me. I knew he didn't really care for me, but now that thought didn't hurt me like it used to.

It took too long, but I finally know what I want and what I don't want. I don't want to love someone who makes me feel like I'm not worthy of their love. I don't want to be with someone that I don't trust, someone who puts my feelings last, or someone who hurts me. I had been holding onto a crush for so long that I forgot that love was supposed to make you happy.

When I finally made the decision, I felt an enormous sense of freedom. I was ready to put my heart into loving someone who made me feel special and who always made me smile. When Forth walked up to me tonight I was thinking of how I could show him that he meant something more to me than just friends. I didn't know if he would accept me, but I was tired of living my life on the sidelines. He was worth the risk of being rejected.

I know what song I'm going to play and I want Forth to hear how much he meant to me in the words. I wasn't sure how he felt about me, but I knew how I felt about him. Over the time we've spent together since we've met, he's shown me what kind of man he is. He's flirted, he's showed concern for me, he's been a friend, and someone I could depend on. It wasn't just a crush. I could only hope that after he heard my song, he'd let me into his heart.

 I could only hope that after he heard my song, he'd let me into his heart

Phana's POV

Our professor made us stay late and when I arrived at the parking lot, looking for Yo, I knew I had failed again.

Not only did I arrive an hour and a half after I was supposed to meet him, but my phone also ran out of batteries and I couldn't even call him. I plugged my phone into my car charger so that I could find him, but it would take a few more minutes to have enough charge to turn on at all.

I planned to walk into the practice area to see if he was waiting there when I saw Forth coming out of the building.

"Ai'Pha," Forth said, walking up to me with a frown on his face. "You're late tonight. Nong Yo was sitting alone out here in the dark when I found him."

His tone is disapproving and angry. I'm condemning myself as well, but I don't need anyone rubbing it in.

"Where is he? Did he go home?" I asked.

"I found him a place to practice the piano and now I'm going to get him some food. He's had a long day and he's hungry," Forth said.

That was supposed to be me. I was going to take him to practice, listen to him play, and get him some food. I was supposed to be the one taking care of Yo.

"I'll do it, just tell me where he is and I'll get him something," I said a little desperately.

"Ai'Pha," Forth said, sounding even more angry, "I told you that I liked N'Yo and wanted to court him. I gave you a chance to tell me to back off but you didn't."

I don't know what to say, so I don't say anything. I know I've made a mess of everything. I wasn't even honest with Forth when I knew I wanted Yo. I'm such a coward.

"Listen, Ai'Pha," Forth spoke again. "I don't want to argue with a friend, but N'Yo is important to me. If you had told me to back off, I would have done it, because that's what honest friends do. But now I'm telling you — you don't deserve him. I won't back off."

"I want N'Yo," I finally said, finding my courage and telling Forth honestly. "If he'll have me, I won't ever let him go."

"Then we'll let him decide who gets the chance to take care of him," Forth looked at me one last time before walking away.

I got back in my car feeling angry and frustrated. I finally had enough charge on my phone, so I turned it on to see three missed calls and three text messages from Yo. I started reading his texts.

Yo: P'Pha, I'm waiting outside the practice building at the curb.

Yo: You aren't answering your phone. Did you forget you were going to meet me? Are you okay?

Yo: I tried calling. I waited for a long time. Sorry, but I couldn't wait anymore.

I rested my head against the steering wheel. I knew Yo still liked me, he had been stalking me earlier today. So I just had to trust that he wouldn't fall for Forth just because I was late coming to pick him up.