Chapter Five

"You have to be kidding me,"

"I'm not! It's an actual thing!"

I rolled my eyes, "Ivy, please. A Dance?"

"Ball," She interrupted, "A Masquerade Ball!"

I felt like my head was about to explode, "You have to be kidding me, this tournament is about our futures, the very way that we'll live out our lives and not even two weeks in, they decide they want to have a ball?"

"Hey, I'm not the management. But apparently, it's not uncommon. You're not actually allowed to talk about most of the things that happen in the tournament, you know, to keep some surprises. Plus, nothing is serious yet! You don't have your first test for another two more weeks, so in reality, it's actually the perfect time to hold something fun like this!" Ivy persuaded, a longing tone in her voice. "Everyone else seems excited!"

I rolled my eyes, "Who do you mean by everyone else?"

It was just Ivy and I alone in the dorm room. Magnolia had gone to see an old friend, someone from the Artium pack and Valeria had an individual lesson.

I was sitting on my bed, my notes that I had been taking for my past few lessons sprawled out in front of me. I had my first test coming up in two weeks. Something that I had found out only two classes ago, was that our classes weren't permanent. We were tested regularly, and if you didn't know the topics, you dropped into one of the lower classes.

Apparently, nothing in the medical course was secure. It was one of those courses that people dropped out of within the first week, even more within the second term. Only two had left my class, but I had heard that there was more in the other classes. If you were in the lowest class and you failed, you ended up in undecided. But if you impressed, and passed your topic tests, you moved up into a higher class.

The catch was that you didn't know which class you were in.

And your results weren't shared with you until the very end.

Leading me back to here, studying while Ivy was informing me every single detail about a 'ball' which, in all honesty, was a sophisticated word for party.

The one thing that I had promised myself to avoid.

A promise, clearly, that Ivy had not made for herself,

"You know, Valeria, Lia, Colton, Julian, Gabe and Orion. Our everyone," Ivy drew out.

I raised an eyebrow, "Your everyone. My connection to those boys is purely through you three."

Ivy through her hands up, "You're lying! You and Orion had crazy chemistry. Maybe you too could have some fun, you're both young and mateless, I don't see the harm in playing around!"

My pen dropped from my fingers, "Ivy! You can't say that!"

"It's not the 1800's! No one expects you to be completely innocent when you find your mate! So have some fun with a hot guy with no strings attached!" She suggested with a mischievous smile on her face. 

I shut my gaping mouth shut, my eyes wide, "I can't believe you just said that," I whispered in disbelief, "What about Orion? He seemed like the type of guy who would have moral dilemmas with literally everything you just said."

Ivy pointed her finger, "You know, that's what I thought too, that he would be waiting for his mate. Nope, lost his v-card ages ago. So I think you should go for it!"

I felt my heart crack. My blood starting to run cold. A loud whine echoed from the back of my mind. I shook my head, it didn't matter, he wasn't mine, he had no reason to not, he was just that type of guy...