Chapter Six

I had made it back to my room just before six o'clock, so I was counting that as a win.

Valeria, Magnolia and Ivy were waiting in the lounge area, their head shooting in my direction as I pulled open the door.

"Oh thank the goddess we thought you had gotten lost!" Ivy sighed in relief, "You've got your mask?"

I held up my hand, "Sure did, and even got a date invitation,"

"Really, who from? Please tell me you said yes!" Ivy squealed,

"Just some guy, he was coming in for a mask too, I said no though. Like I told you, I'm not looking for a date." I rolled my eyes, dropping my bag to the floor.

Ivy paused, "Oh, well that's alright. The shower is free, then we're all getting changed and doing hair."

I nodded, placing my mask on the table and walking in the shower. It was only quick, rinsing my body from the grime of the day before running back to my room with only a towel covering my body. 

I leaned into my closet, going through my folded clothes until I found the dress. I pulled my wet hair back so I could pull it on easily.

The dress ran right across my collarbone, the sleeves long and billowy before coming back in at my wrist. It was cinched at the waist and fell tightly just below my knees. The dress had a corset style crossing on the top before the material folded back in on itself.

This was only the second time I had worn this dress. When I was sixteen, we had flown back to France for my cousin's wedding. It was family only and she had asked me to be a bridesmaid, this was the dress that I had worn. It fitted me a lot better now then it did back then, I was just hoping it wasn't too showy. I think I only had two other dresses, both being sundresses.

So this really was my only option.

I pulled my wet hair back and did two braids on each side of my head, starting from the top of my head to about halfway down my head before tying each into a pigtail. I sighed,

I suppose this would have to do.

I really did not want to go to this dance.

I strapped a pair of nice, mostly unused pair of flats and walked out of my bedroom.

Valeria was already sitting down, wearing a deep purple dress that fell to the floor, a long slit running up her leg.

She looked at me with a smirk, "Nice dress,"

"You too," I replied. "Where are the others?"

Valeria looked behind her, "Still getting changed I would guess. Just so you know, the boys are coming and picking us up from here and then we're gonna head to the ball,"

I sat down, "Sounds good."

Valeria raised an eyebrow at me, her eyes shimmering, "If you would like, I can get Orion to be your date?"

I sighed, "He's not my mate Valeria, there really isn't any point," The lie felt cold as it slipped from my tongue.

Valeria leaned her head back, closing her eyes. "I know, I just keep hoping that maybe it's just a late reaction, it's happened before you know,"

I looked down. "We're not mates, Valeria. Nothing can change that,"

"I know it's just- we would have had so much fun."

I sighed, "Yeah, we probably would have,"

I felt like I was entangled in a spiderweb, and I could feel the soft tug of the string underneath me. This lie was an elaborate mess that kept continuing to get worse and worse. I had no idea what I could do. I could reject Orion, and he would never find his true mate, therefore ending up telling everyone that I was his real mate and had rejected him during the tournament.