Chapter Twenty

I woke up with probably the worst headache I've ever had in my entire life. I could feel it behind my eyes, seeping into every crevice. The curtains were wide open, sunlight streaming in. I heaved myself up, trying to open my eyes enough to make a start. I looked down, the oversized shirt that I was currently wearing had ridden up my thighs. I grabbed down on the edges, pulling it down. I had long socks on my feet, and while I didn't remember much from when I left the club, I certainly didn't remember putting on socks.

Regardless, I slithered out of bed, pushing back the covers and stepping up. There was no clock in the room, so I walked over to the window. Based on the position on the sun, I would have guessed that it was mid-afternoon at least.

I heard the door swing open, and I jumped back, my hands tight against the edging of the window.

I let out a breath when I saw Orion, a pile of clothes in his hand.

"Oh! You're awake!" He spluttered in surprise.

I ran a hand over my head, trying to smooth my hair, "Not for long, I've only just woken up."

He looked at the pile in his hands and then back at me, "I went upstairs and got you some clothes, figured you wouldn't want to just hang around in my clothes all day."

I glanced down at my feet, "Did you put these socks on?"

"A draft came in and you were starting to shiver," He gulped, "It was early in the morning so I figured it wouldn't be too much of a big deal.

My mouth went dry, "Oh, well... thank you." I looked around the room, suddenly feeling very awkward, 'Do the others know..."

His eyes widened slightly, "Yeah. I just told them that you hadn't stopped throwing up and you were coming down with a really nasty fever. Figure playing with your health is the most believable option in this situation."

I let out a breath, "Do I look sick?"

Orion gave me a once over, "Well, you look like you were sick, so I doubt it should matter too much," He placed the pile carefully on the bed. "Just come outside when you're done, the others are all out on the grass, so we'll go join them once you're ready."

As I nodded in response, he politely backed away, closing the door quietly behind him.

Everything in Orion and I's relationship felt different, like it had shifted, and not necessarily in a bad way. I could slowly feel the brick wall that I had so hastily built when we first met come crumbling down with each encounter. My parents had always described the mate bond like that, breaking through your problems until all that what left in the endless gaping forever was the two of you.

Their words were finally beginning to make sense.

I didn't want to call us liars, even though that's what we so blatantly were.  We were lying to our parents, we were lying to our friends, we were lying to everyone. And I know for a fact that if my mate had been anyone else, he most definitely would be doing what Orion was doing. I didn't want to call us liars, I didn't want to call myself a liar, so I suppose were just secret-keepers; to be revealed at a later date. 

We were lying because I wasn't ready, not for my position or the relationship that I knew Orion so desperately wanted at this point.

I reached into the pile of clothes.

At least he had some sense of style, a loose-fitting, flowy t-shit that I didn't even realise that I owned and a pair of long, light blue skinny jeans. I couldn't see any shoes anywhere so I just slid on a pair of thongs that were lying near the door. They were obviously Orions, a dark blue colour with padding around the strap so when I slid in my toes, I knew I wouldn't end up with angry red marks on the inside of my toes at the end of the day.