Epilogue

The air had turned into delicate whispers of smoke and mist. 

It almost covered all the dead bodies.

It was cold, nipping at my skin as small droplets formed all over the towering trees. I couldn't help but think, was it really over? It felt like it had happened too quickly, too suddenly. Though, the speed probably had something more to do with the fact that it hadn't been planned, and rather, a complete spur of the moment. 

Would it have been different if Kage attacked when he wanted to? Maybe I wouldn't be alive right now, maybe Orion wouldn't be alive right now.

Maybe none of us would be alive right now.

But we were, and this war, this futile battle, was over.

Vindex was a war zone, blood seeping into the soil and insides strewn out on the grass. I was lucky I wasn't squeamish. My steps were crooked, my breathing loud as I treaded back out of the forest and into the main pack area. I held onto Orion's arm, his face completely void as we walked. I assumed I looked like something similar. 

We finally reached an area where we could stop, no debris on the floor or stains on the grass. Just pure green and emptiness.

"I can't stop replaying it in my head," I whispered.

Orion shuddered, "Me neither."

I looked up, "Have you seen the others? Do you know where they are?"

"Fine," Orion bit out, "At least, physically. None of them are dead."

I looked down at my hands, shaking as goosebumps rose all over my arm. The sky was dark in mourning, shadows covering my body. "I feel like I'm going to throw up."

Suddenly, the ground didn't look so green, and the space didn't feel so empty. It was closing in on me, suffocating me as I tried to breath, almost as if a parasite and filtered itself into my lungs and spread its infectious arms throughout.

Orion brought me closer, holding me against his frame. "Then just give yourself a second, we can check casualties and the rest later. Just, pause."

The pit of my stomach was gurgling, "This isn't over, is it Orion? The rogues."

He sighed. "No. When a leader falls, a new one almost always rises up."

I stared up at the stars, leaned my head against his chest. "And I can almost guarantee who it will be."

Fin