Chapter Eleven

Our time at the Tournament was split into two, essentially, the first half and the second half. Each took over three months with a weeks break in between. A week free from any classes or responsibility. That week break was also when parents were allowed to come and visit their children. Unfortunately, before we could get to that, there was a two-week exam block, constant testing for every little class you had. It was just for two weeks, fourteen days, and I had some sort of exam or assessment on thirteen of those days.

I had one exam free day, the very first day. 

In fact, no one had any exams on that day,

Except for the Decided Warriors.

I would have dreaded to be them, and out of every single course, decided, undecided or intended, their course is easily the worst.

A warrior needed to be strong, fierce and trusted.

On the first day of exams, every warrior in the decided, any undecided who was leaning towards being a warrior, and any intended who was interested, participated in a public fight.

It was a big deal, and for the most part, was kept very much under the wraps. It was one of the biggest events that happened during the tournament, and it only happened once.

The reasoning behind it was simple, a pack needs to know that they can trust their warriors to keep them safe. They use the event to show that their warriors will be able to defend the pack members. 

Those competing had known for at least a week.

The rest of us had found out two days ago.

People would go up against each other in battle, human form only. Those who won would move on to someone else, and those who lost would be eliminated. There were no restrictions, only that you couldn't kill your opponent. You could render the person unconscious if it meant that you could win.

It was brutal.

And everyone was unreasonably excited.

Me included.

There was something so exhilarating about watching a group of people fight. And the fact that it was a competition only made it more exciting. I only knew of five people entering. Orion, Julian, Gabriel, Colton, Valeria and Crew.

There was a huge cash prize for the overall winner, and I knew that the money was the reason that the majority of the undecided were entering.

"So, who do you think is going to win?" Magnolia asked, breaking the silence between us.

Ivy shrugged, "Valeria and the boys have been training unreasonably hard, plus with the strength that comes from their position. So I feel like they have a pretty good chance,"

"I've got a friend entering," I wondered out loud, "I would say he's got a chance. I mean, he's an undecided, but he's certainly got the talent."

Magnolia's brows furrowed, "I at least hope it's someone we know. It would make the win much sweeter, especially since we're not actually participating."

"You know, a couple of years ago a guy died during the exam, he got beat up so bad that there was no chance for recovery, they even shipped him out to Sanitatem and everything. It was all over the news when it happened," Ivy informed, leaning forward as if telling us a secret.

I gulped, "You're kidding?"

Ivy shook her head, "Nope. There was a public funeral and everything, but they couldn't charge the guy that did it but he didn't kill the guy in the arena, he had died afterwards. It was a mess,"