Chapter Forty

My parents funeral was almost unbearable to sit through.

Technically, we couldn't even call it a funeral. Funerals were for family and friends, and there was no physical way for that to happen. All of my parents' current friends were down in Silva, while the family and there younger friends lived halfway across the world.

Out of respect, my parents were buried in Orion's family graveyard. A priest had come and said a few words, blessing their spirits and their bodies, while praying that the moon goddess let them pass into the next life together. The only other person with me was Orion, standing next to me with his arm around my waist as I silently sobbed, my face remaining stoic as I tried to hold back the tremble of my lip. The priest took his leave and left the two of us standing alone.

I stared at the tombstone, a joint one. The way their names were carved into the stone made my heart wrench in pain. I leaned my head against Orion's shoulder,

"It doesn't feel real," I whispered, 

"I doubt it ever will," He admitted, "But if anyone is going to be able to cope with this sort of grief, it's going to be you."

"My father said the exact same thing,"

"Well, your father's a very intelligent man." Orion assured, "He knew what he was talking about.

I gulped, "Was, my father was a very intelligent man."

I hated this, I hated it so much. Why did it have to be me? I suppose I should be thankful, thankful for the time I did get with them, and the fact that I didn't have to experience a mateless parent. Would I have rathered that alternative? I don't know.

"And what if you're wrong Orion, what if he was wrong? What if I can't do it?" I asked miserably.

"Then you pass on some of that grief to me, and I'll do everything in my power to make it bearable." He said, the slow strokes of his finger on my hip calming my breath and easing my pulsing heart.

"What would I do without you?" I breathed in relief.

Orion moved slightly and pressed a kiss against my hair, "You would be perfectly fine my love, it's rather what I would do without you."

"Alpha!"

Orion and I's head snapped around to see a frantic boy, maybe around sixteen rushing towards us with a piece of paper in his hand.

"What?" Orion snarled, "I thought I made it perfectly clear that this was a private event and that we were not to be interrupted, regardless of the situation?"

"I know Alpha," He panted, "But it's urgent."

Orion waited a moment, "Well come on then, spit it out."

The boy stood up straighter, pushing his shoulders back, "Its a letter - well, rather a threat from the Rogues."

My ears pricked up, the rogues? Urgent wasn't an important enough word. Orion looked at me, ultimately allowing me to make the final decision about how we react to this.

I ran a hand over my face, clearing my cheeks from any lingering tears. Regardless of how stupid I looked with my red eyes and puffy skin, I switched to Luna mode.

"Hand it over, thank you for bringing this to our attention," I stated, extending my hand forward. He placed the paper in my hand, bowed and quickly ran off, leaving Orion and I back to our lonesome.

"We can wait if you want, let you have a couple more minutes before heading back to the office and reading it there." Orion offered, covering my hand in his.