Twenty One

'The Third Task'

The Great Hall was once again being used to paint faces

The Great Hall was once again being used to paint faces. Blue, burgundy, yellow and crimson stripes found their way onto skin as some ate and some made their way to make bets with Fred and George.

Lori and Katie were surprisingly late to breakfast, the Seeker had spent half the night with Cedric in the Library going over last minute spells, and Katie hadn't been satisfied until she was out of bed.

It was almost a reflex when she pulled on Cedric's yellow shirt for the task and headed down to breakfast with her best friend. They slipped onto the bench next to each other, Leanne joining them moments later.

Katie and Lori smiled as Cho kissed her girlfriend's cheek before sitting with them and starting to eat.

"You know," Katie said, "this time three months ago, Lori was saying you were certain to catch the Snitch in our match." Cho smiled, the four of them diving into a conversation about Quidditch before a pair of arms wrapped around Lori's waist and gently pulled her from the bench.

Cedric smiled down at her, "You're wearing my shirt."

Lori smirked, "I thought you might need your good luck charm."

She leant into his chest, Cedric pressing a kiss to her forehead. They stayed like that for a moment, "I'm so nervous about today."

Lori pulled both of them onto the bench, sandwiching herself between Cedric and Katie, "Don't be, what's the worst that could happen?"

"I could get scratched on the face by one of those bushes," he laughed, "they're lethal."

Katie snorted, "Lori would be really upset about that."

Cedric wrapped his arm around her waist as she blushed red and pulled her into his side, "I'm sure she would."

Lori groaned, leaning her head against his arm, "Why do you always bully me, Katie?"

"Because it's funny."

Leanne looked between her two best friends, "It actually sort of is. You get flustered way too easily."

Cedric nodded along, laughing. Lori turned to the only person on their table who hadn't yet deserted her, "Cho? Tell them they're wrong."

The Ravenclaw shrugged, her Scottish accent thick, "I'm sorry, Lori, but you do."

*

The school band had started playing a stately march, barely audible over the clapping and cheering for the different champions.

Once again, half of Lori's face was yellow and black, the other red and gold as she started to leave the Great Hall with Katie, Leanne and Cho, before being held back by Cedric.

He had asked her to come with his mother and father to wish him luck before the task, the two teens walking hand in hand down to the Quidditch pitch, which was now completely covered in a huge, sprawling maze.

Mrs Diggory smiled knowingly when her son and Lori arrived to the champion area.

Cedric had watched her go as she hugged Harry, Fleur and Krum in turn, his parents watching the smile curl onto his lips as she returned.

"If you get stuck, just break through the maze wall with the Defodio Charm and keep on going." Lori smiled up at him.

McGonagall entered the room, gesturing for the champions to walk out into the arena. Fleur went first, her little sister running behind her with their parents, then Krum with his mother and father and Mrs Weasley and Bill went out with Harry.

Cedric's hand slipped into Lori's as the four of them slowly came out into the open, cheers reaching their ears.

Each champion and their family positioned themselves in front of a different entrance to the maze, politely waiting for Dumbledore to address the crowd.

"Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now, as Mr Diggory and Mr Potter are tied for first position, they will be the first to enter the maze, followed by Mr Krum and Miss Delacour."

Lori squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"The first person to touch the Cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff  to patrol the perimeter. Should, at any point, a contestant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants! Gather around!"

Cedric, Harry, Fleur and Krum formed a tight circle with Dumbledore as he whispered a last few words to them, before they each gathered at their entrance, "Champions, prepare yourselves!"

Cedric was hugged by his father, then by his mother, before pulling Lori into a kiss and smiling down at her, "I need to ask you something when I get back."

Lori nodded as the family all took their seats in a separate stand to the others.

"On the count of three. One-"

Dumbledore was cut off by the cannon, Filch shrugging his shoulders as the Headmaster put his head in his hands, gesturing for Cedric and Harry to enter the maze.

Cedric sent Lori one last smile as the hedges grew over his entrance and blocking him from view.

A few minutes later, the cannon went again and Viktor entered the maze, him too being obscured from view as the walls blocked him from view.

Fleur waved at her sister by her entrance, before the cannon went off for the third time. Gabrielle was sat next to Lori, "Je vous verrai tous les quatre à votre retour!"

The last champion disappeared from view as the cheers carried on, though Lori doubt they could be heard, guessing that the maze was enchanted to block sound.

Lori took Gabrielle's hand, the two of them settling in for what was about to be the some of the worst hours of all of their lives.