Chapter Twelve

Lloyd's POV

"What did she mean by that...?" I mumble to myself.

"I'm a criminal in the wrong world." (Y/n)'s voice echos through my head.

Is she from another realm?

I slowly and carefully get out of bed. I hold onto the bed for support.

It's almost time for the ceremony. I have to do something.

I open the door and walk out, still using the wall as a crutch. I wonder around in the hallway.

I hear footsteps around the corner and I quickly hide in the closest room. I wince and clutch my stomach. The action causing me pain.

I look through the crack in the door and watch as a couple of guards walk by.

They're heading towards my room. Soon they're going to realize I'm not there and report it to Master Chen.

I look around for another way out. Nothing.

Maybe there's some trap doors in here?

I slowly walk over to the book shelf and start taking all the books off one by one. But none of them is activating a trap door.

I start pressing my hands against the stone to see if there's any buttons. Still nothing.

I need some light. I go to grab one of the torches to look at everything more carefully but I'm suddenly sent down a whole and I fall and hit a carpeted floor.

I had activated a trap but it lead me right to Chen.

"Quick! Get him. He's trying to escape!" Chen yells from his chair.

The guards catch up and restrain me due to my injuries.

"The ceremony starts now." Chen declares.

A day earlier....

Jay's POV

"Why does Kai get special treatment? And I'm here chopping up noodles!" I yell using the machine.

Cole sneakily walks over to me, leaving the fortune cookies to one of the other elementals. "Shhh. We're going to get out of here soon." Cole says as he places his hands on my shoulders.

"Don't 'shhh' me!"

"Look there." Cole whispers, pointing to a guard who is leaning on the wall with his arms crossed near the entrance and exit.

"What about him?" I whisper back.

"He has the keys. If we can just get those keys, then we can get out of here." He explains.

"And what about the others here? We can't just leave them."

"On my way here, I saw a whole bunch of cells, and I think they're holding Zane in one of them. We'll come back for them after we find Zane." Cole says.

"Alright, but we need a distraction." I say nodding my head.

"Did someone say 'distraction'? Karloff can help with That." Karloff says coming up behind us and listening to our conversation.

We discuss our plan on how we are going to get those keys and how it should play out.

"Then it's settled, we'll steal those keys tomorrow and find Zane." Cole says confidently.

Present...

(Y/n)'s POV

"Zane?"

"How do you know my name?" He asks, his voice sounding robotic.

"It's...kinda hard to explain. I'm (Y/n), by the way." I say holding my hand out for him to shake.

He tilts his head in confusion. "I don't have anything to give you."

"Oh, no. I just wanted to shake your hand. Ya know, it's what people do when they first meet people."

"Hmm...Interesting."

"Yeah, I don't quite understand it either." I laugh nervously while rubbing the back of my head.

But my expression quickly changes to a serious one.

"Your friends are in trouble." I say.

"My...friends..?"

"Ya know...Jay, Cole, Kai, Nya, Lloyd? ....It's all my fault...I was so determined to get home, I..."

"None of this could've been your fault." Zane cuts me off and places his hand on my shoulder trying to comfort me.

"You don't understand." I push his hand off my shoulder a little more harshly than I wanted to.

"I was only friends with them to gain their trust, and then I betrayed them. I was helping Chen so he would help me get home." I say and sit down against the wall with my knees up to my chest. My arms were crossed and they rested on my knees.
Zane then decides to sit down next to me.

"I'm in the wrong place. I don't belong here. This world isn't real, right? So, it doesn't matter what I do cause nothings real." I say laying my head on my arms.

"You're never in the wrong place. Sometimes you're in the right place looking at things in the wrong way. There has to be a reason why you're here. And if you don't do the right thing even if nothings real, what does that say about you? What kind of person do you want to be?" Zane says giving me some advice.

"But, I'm a criminal. I'm technically a bad guy." I say, taking my head off my arms and looking at Zane.

"Is that the kind of person you want to be? Someone who is like Chen? The very person who betrayed you?" Zane asks.

"It's too late. Lloyd would never forgive me for what I did."

Zane stands up and holds out his hand for me to take. "I'm sure, in time, he will. Lloyd is a good person."

"Why are you being so kind to me?" I ask as I take his hand and he pulls me up.

"I believe everyone deserves a second chance, including you. And I see good in you. Now, help me find a way out of here, my new friend."

____

Sorry this chapter is late. I had a really bad case of writers block.

"You're never in the wrong place. Sometimes you're in the right place looking at things the wrong way."

This quote is by Abraham Hicks.

Yeah, I know. I wish I came up with that. 😂😂