Chapter Twenty One

(Y/n)'s POV

After I stopped the fight between Lloyd and Kai, I stormed off outside to get some fresh air. I didn't even notice Kai following behind me. I message my temples, hoping my headache would go away.

"(Y/n), why did you stop me?"

I swiftly turn around to see Kai standing there with an upset, yet confused, expression plastered on his face.

"Lloyd is being totally unfair to you. You apologized for what you did and are showing that you actually want to change. He's being rude and is treating you horribly. Are you just gonna let him get away with that?" Kai says through clenched teeth.

I did apologize for betraying everyone but.... it doesn't change anything. Zane said it would take time, and I can't just force Lloyd to forgive me or even like me.

"What you did was wrong, Kai. I know you're just trying to look after me, and I really appreciate and thank you for that. But you can't force Lloyd to forgive me. I did a terrible thing, and I guess it hit him the worst."

"I'm sorry, (Y/n). I just wish there was something I could do." Kai says, kicking a rock.

"Me too... I don't belong here. You know it and everyone else knows it too. I just make everything worse. You all don't actually need me here; I think it's best I leave. Thank you for being my friend. Goodbye." I turn back around and walk away, ignoring Kai's calls for me to come back.

I'm alone again...

Sine I could remember, I've always been alone.

I never knew my parents or where I came from. No clue was left as to who I am. I always wondered if they died or maybe... they gave me up and didn't want me. I've been in and out of so many family homes. No one wanted me so I ran away and started living on the streets.

Stealing was the only way I could survive...

I snap out of my thoughts as I realize I've been walking this entire time. I think I might be lost. I have no idea where I've wondered off to.

"....(Y/n)." The voice startles me and my reflexes kick in. I punch the owner of the voice in the face but then realize who it is.

"Owww..." He places a hand on his cheek where I punched him.

"I'm so sorry, Lloyd. I didn't mean to. I had no idea it was you who followed me. Are you alright?" I ask frantically.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Lloyd removes his hand to reveal his pink cheek which is already turning a bit purple.

"How and why did you follow me?"

"When Kai came back inside, he told me what you said and everything... I thought we should talk so I followed you. I called your name multiple times, but I don't think you heard me."

"Oh, sorry. What did you want to talk about?" I start fidgeting with my fingers and avoid Lloyd's eyes. I'm afraid of how this conversation is going to go.

Lloyd sets his hands on top of mine and I immediately look up at him.

"Why'd you do it? Why did you betray us?" He asks, searching my eyes for an answer.

I take a deep breath before answering. "I'm not from this world, Lloyd. Where I'm from, I'm a criminal. I would steal things so I could survive. It's the only thing I've ever known. I ended up here in your world, on Chen's island. Chen said if I helped him get your elemental powers and everyone else's, then he would help me get home. But he betrayed me and now I'm still stuck here where I don't belong. I was so focused on getting back home; I didn't notice what I was doing to you and the others. I didn't think anything I did here mattered, but I was wrong. I honestly didn't think I would make friends here. I didn't think anyone would like me. I know I've said this already but I truly am sorry for what I did to you. I'm trying my best to become a better person. I want to make it up to you, but I can't if you won't listen to me. I can't if you won't let me." I look away and shut my eyes tight, waiting for his harsh response... but there's only silence.

Lloyd suddenly pulls me into a hug, and my eyes widen in shock. "What are you doing?" I ask.

"I have noticed that you're trying to be better. You deserve a second chance like everyone else. You just made a mistake and that's what makes you human. It just...really hurt me when you betrayed me." He looks me in the eye with his sad green ones. It's almost like the events were going through his head over and over again.

"I've never had any friends or anyone who cared for me. You and the ninja are the only people who have ever shown me kindness, and I don't want to lose any of you." I burry my head into Lloyd's chest. I didn't want this moment to end.

"I should've said this a while ago.. I forgive you, (Y/n). You won't lose me. When this stuff with Chen is over, the ninja and I will help you find a way back home. And that's a promise."

"Thank you."

"When I was younger, I wanted to be just like my father. A villain. The Ninja and my uncle took me in and showed me their ways. Then I found out I was destined to be the great Green Ninja. What I'm trying to say is... people change. I changed, my father changed, and that means you can too. Sensei Wu once told me, 'the best way to defeat your enemy is to make them your friend'. So, (Y/n). Can we be friends?" Lloyd says pulling away from the embrace.

"Of course." I smile and Lloyd smiles back.

"Now let's go give Chen some payback." Lloyd says as he held out his hand for me to grab.

I stare hesitantly at his hand before grabbing it, and Lloyd pulls me in the direction of the cave, where everyone else is.