The Shakespeare Code pt.3

"We're going the wrong way!" Martha says.

"No, we're not! We're going the wrong way!" I roll my eyes stumbling a bit, the Doctor grabs my by the arm and turns around in the direction on the Globe theatre.

*Time skip*

A red glow hangs over the Globe, as we finally make it.

"I told thee so! I told thee!"

"Stage door!" We go to the door and open it as a storm rages over the building. The audience panic and run, but the witches slam the doors shut to stop them. The Doctor, Martha and I find Shakespeare waking up.

"Stop the play. I think that was it. Yeah, I said, stop the play!" The Doctor shouts.

"I hit my head" Shakespeare says.

"Yeah, don't rub it, you'll go bald. I think that's my cue!" The Doctor says.

"Now begins the millennium of blood!" The Doctor runs out onto the stage, followed by Martha, Shakespeare, and me.

"Seer. She lives. Then watch this world become a blasted heath! They come. They come!" The women holds the crystal out into the red light and bat-like creatures fly into the theatre. They circle a bit then fly up into the sky.

"Come on, Will! History needs you!" I say.

"But what can I do?"

"Reverse it!"

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"The shape of the Globe gives words power, but you're the wordsmith, the one true genius. The only man clever enough to do it."

"But what words? I have none ready!"

"You're William Shakespeare!"

"But these Carrionite phrases, the need such precision."

"Trust yourself. When you're locked away in your room, the words just come, don't they, like magic. Words of the right sound, the right shape, the right rhythm. Words that last forever. That's what you do, Will. You choose perfect words. Do it. Improvise" I say.

"Close up this din of hateful, dire decay, decomposition of your witches' plot. You thieve my brains, consider me your toy. My doting Doctor and Seer tells me I am not!"

"No! Words of power!"

"Foul Carrionite spectres, cease your show! Between the points..."

"Seven six one three nine oh!" The Doctor shouts.

"Seven six one three nine oh! Banished like a tinker's cuss, I say to thee..."

"Expelliarmus!" Martha shouts.

"Expelliarmus!" The Doctor shouts.

"Expelliarmus!" I shout, Shakespeare looks at all of us and smiles.

"Expelliarmus!"

"Good old JK!" The Doctor shouts as the Carrionites scream.

"The deep darkness! They are consumed!" The Carrionites are sucked into a tornado, along with all the extant pages of the play.

"Love's Labour's Won. There it goes" I say, the sky clears with a flash and bang. After a few moments, someone starts clapping, then all the audience joins in.

"They think it was all special effects?" Martha asks.

"Your effect is special indeed" Shakespeare says.

"It's not your best line" Shakespeare and Martha take their bows. Meanwhile, the Doctor and I go up to the now empty box and pick up the crystal. The Carrionites are inside, scratching to get at us.

*Time skip*

Next morning.

"And I say, a heart for a hart and a dear for a deer" Shakespeare says.

"I don't get it" Martha says shaking her head.

"Then give me a joke from Freedonia."

"Okay, Shakespeare walks into a pub and the landlord says, Oi mate, you're Bard."

"That's brilliant. Doesn't make sense, mind you, but never mind that. Now come here" Shakespeare puts his arm around Martha's waist and pulls her towards him.

"I've only just met you."

"The Doctor may never kiss you. Why not entertain a man who will?"

"I don't know how to tell you this, oh great genius, but your breath doesn't half stink, and the Seer and the Doctor are married."

The Doctor enters wearing a small stiff ruff, I follow close behind carrying an animal skull.

"Good props store back there. I'm not sure about this though. Reminds me of a Sycorax" I say.

"Sycorax. Nice word. I'll have that off you as well."

"I should be on ten percent. How's your head?"

"Still aching."

"Here, I got you this" the Doctor says taking off the ruff and puts it on Shakespeare.

"Neck brace. Wear that for a few days till it's better, although you might want to keep it. It suits you."

"What about the play?"

"Gone. I looked all over. Every single copy of Love's Labour's Won went up in the sky" I say.

"My lost masterpiece."

"You could write it up again."

"Yeah, better not, Will. There's still power in those words. Maybe it should best stay forgotten."

"Oh, but I've got new ideas. Perhaps it's time I wrote about fathers and sons, in memory of my boy, my precious Hamnet."

"Hamnet?" Martha asks.

"That's him."

"Hamnet?"

"What's wrong with that?"

"Anyway, time we were off. We've got a nice attic in the TARDIS where this lot can scream for all eternity, and we've got to take Martha back to Freedonia" the Doctor says.

"You mean travel on through time and space."

"You what?"

"You two are from another world like the Carrionites, and Martha is from the future. It's not hard to work out."

"That's incredible. You are incredible" I say.

"We're alike in many ways, Doctor, Seer. Martha, let me say goodbye to you in a new verse. A sonnet for my Dark Lady. Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate."

"Will!"

"Will, you'll never believe it. She's here! She's turned up!"

"We're the talk of the town. She heard about last night. She wants us to perform it again."

"Who?" Martha asks.

"Her Majesty. She's here" Fanfare and the elderly Elizabeth enters with two pikemen.

"Queen Elizabeth the First!" The Doctor says.

"Doctor?"

"What?"

"My sworn enemy."

"What?"

"Off with his head!"

"What?"

"Never mind what, just run! See you, Will, and thanks!" Martha shouts.

"Stop that pernicious Doctor" Shakespeare laughs as the pikemen chase the Doctor, Martha and I out and into the streets of Southwark.

"Stop in the name of the Queen!"

"What have you done to upset her?" Martha asks as we run towards the TARDIS.

"How should I know? Haven't even met her yet. That's time travel for you. Still, can't wait to find out" we get to the TARDIS and we run in "that's something to look forward to. Ooo!" I pull the Doctor in and shut the doors laughing along with the Doctor and Martha.