42 pt.2

The Doctor and I are now in spacesuits.

"I can't let you do this" Scannell says.

"You're wasting your breath, Scannell. You're not going to stop us" the Doctor says.

"You two want to open an airlock in flight on a ship spinning into the sun. No one can survive that."

"Oh, just you watch."

"You two open that airlock, it's suicide. This close to the sun, the shields will barely protect you."

"If we can boost the magnetic lock on the ship's exterior, it should remagnetise the pod. Now, while we're out there, you have got to get the rest of those doors open. We need those auxiliary engines" I say.

"Will you listen! They're too far away. It's too late."

"We're not going to lose her" I say my eyes growing dark as we put on helmets and step into the airlock.

"Decompression initiated. Impact in twelve fifty-five...Impact in eleven fifteen. Heat shield failing. At ten percent" The Doctor opens the outer airlock door and the unfiltered sunlight streams in. Gritting his teeth, both himself and I climb outside, I reach for a row of four buttons on the ship's hull. The Doctor has to hold on to my hand as well as the edge of the airlock because there is no safety line.

"Come on! Go on, my son!" The Doctor says, I squint shaking my head as I press two buttons then stretch for the box just beyond us.

"How're you doing?"

"I can't, I can't reach! I don't know how much longer I can last" I say through gritted teeth.

"Come on. Don't give up now" I manage to rip off the cover of the box, and with a big shout, I pull the lever down. The Doctor pulls me back into the airlock as the escape pod returns to its dock. He looks at the sun as I breath heavily.

"It's alive. It's alive. It's alive!"

"Doctor, Seer, close the airlock now!"

"Impact in eight fifty-seven. Airlock recompression completed" The Doctor has his eyes closed tight as he takes off his helmet and crawls out of the airlock, I follow close by as the pod docks.

"Doctor! Seer! Are you okay?" The Doctor opens his eyes briefly. A white light shines from them, I grab Martha pulling her back.

"Stay away from me!"

"What's happened?"

"It's your fault, Captain McDonnell!" I slowly walk towards the Doctor.

"Riley, get down to area ten and help Scannell with the doors. Go!" Riley runs off.

"You mined that sun. Stripped its surface for cheap fuel. You should have scanned for life!" I kneel down in front of the Doctor staring at him.

"I don't understand."

"Doctor, what are you talking about?"

"That sun is alive. A living organism. They scooped out its heart, used it for fuel, and now it's screaming inside him" I say.

"What do you mean? How can a sun be alive? Why is he saying that?"

"Because it's living in him" the Doctor grips the sides of his head and puts his hand on my lap.

"Oh, my God."

"Humans! You grab whatever's nearest and bleed it dry! You should have scanned!" I look down at the Doctor putting my hand on his back in comfort.

"It takes too long. We'd be caught. Fusion scoops are illegal."

"You've got to freeze me, quickly."