Gridlock

"Just one trip. That's what we said. One trip in the TARDIS, and then home. Although we suppose we could stretch the definition. Take one trip into the past, one trip into the future. How do you fancy that?" I ask looking at Martha.

"No complaints from me" Martha says shrugging with a smile.

"How about a different planet?" I suggest.

"Can we go to yours?" I tilt my head.

"Ah, there's plenty of other places."

"Come on, though. I mean, planet of the Time Lords. That's got to be worth a look. What's it like?" Martha asks walking over to me, I was sitting on the railings in the TARDIS control room.

"Well, it's beautiful, yeah."

"Is it like, you know, outer space cities, all spires and stuff?"

"I suppose it is."

"Great big temples and cathedrals!"

"Yeah."

"Lots of planets in the sky?" I look down at my hands a small smile on my face.

"The sky's a burnt orange, with the Citadel enclosed in a mighty glass dome, shining under the twin suns. Beyond that, the mountains go on forever. Slopes of deep red grass, capped with snow" I say as the Doctor walks in.

"Can we go there?" Martha asks excitedly, I look up and shake my head.

"Nah. Where's the fun for me and the Doctor? We don't want to go home. Instead, this is much better. Year five billion and fifty-three, planet New Earth. Second hope of mankind. Fifty thousand light years from your old world, and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York. Although, technically it's the fifteenth New York from the original, so it's New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York. One of the most dazzling cities ever built" I say jumping off the railing and walking over to the control panel flicking switches.

*Time skip*

The TARDIS is blocking a narrow alleyway. We walk out into rain and my face scrunches.

"Oh, that's nice. Time Lord version of dazzling" Martha says.

"Nah, bit of rain never hurt anyone. Come on, let's get under cover!" The Doctor says as we run over to a plywood ghetto.

"Well, it looks like the same old Earth to me, on a Wednesday afternoon" Martha says.

"Hold on, hold on. Let's have a look" I use my sonic screwdriver to get a monitor working.

"And the driving should be clear and easy, with fifteen extra lanes open for the New New Jersey expressway" a picture of a high-tech Manhattan and flying cars pops up onto the screen.

"Oh, that's more like it. That's the view we had last time. This must be the lower levels, down in the base of the tower. Some sort of under-city" the Doctor says.

"You've brought me to the slums?" Martha asks looking around.

"Much more interesting. It's all cocktails and glitter up there. This is the real city" the Doctor says.

"You'd enjoy anything" Martha says with her arms crossed.

"That's me. Ah, the rain's stopping. Better and better" the Doctor walks off leaving Martha with me.

"When he says last time, was that you two and Rose?" Martha asks.

"Er, yeah. Yeah, it was, yeah" I say as we follow after the Doctor.

"You're taking me to the same planets that you took her?"

"What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing. Just ever heard the word rebound?" A man opens the front of his stall.