Secret's Out

Vanessa Merrell as Kira Gray
Song: Oblivion by Bastille

His jaw drops and his eyes widen at my appearance, then his mouth closes and his jaw clenches. "Cazzo di inferno." (Fucking hell) "What the fuck happened?"

"Why are you here?" I whisper, looking down.

"I asked you first," he grits out, stepping around me into the house, never once taking his eyes off of me.

"Jake, please. You can't come in," I cough out, begging for him to listen. He turns around, and steps closer to me. I take a step back, my eyes wide, and his face softens.

"Emma. Who did this to you?" he asks softly, gently touching my face. I turn my head away, flinching.

"I can't tell you," I whisper. He gently turns my head back to look at him.

"Please." The concern in his voice makes me waver.

"I...," I let out a deep sigh, then look him in the eyes. "My dad." I see the anger flare up again in his eyes. I drop my gaze, used to the angry look being directed towards myself.

"Cazzo." (Fuck) "Your dad did this?" he seethes. I just nod. He gently takes my hand, and starts down the hallway. "Where's the bathroom?"

"First door on the left," I tell him, slightly confused by the mood change.

"Where is he now?" We step into the bathroom, and he easily lifts me up onto the sink. I squirm, not liking brim seeing everything this up close. 

"He left. He was asking about money I saved. He owes someone money." Why am I being so honest with him? I barely know him.

"So he's taking your money? Wow. Fucking asshole," he grits out, rummaging through the cabinets, and pulling out the first aid kit. He starts mumbling under his breath in Italian, and I don't understand a single word.

"I don't know when he'll be back. You need to leave," I plead with him, tears streaming down my face.

"I'm not fucking leaving you alone with him," he says, his voice hard, but his touch gentle as he cleans up my face.

"I don't have anywhere else to go. He'll find me," I sob, turning my head away from him.

"Emma. Look at me." I look up at him, and he wipes my tears away gently. "I need to tell you something, but I need you to not freak out. I can help you."

"How? Why would I freak out?" He lets out a sigh, running a hand through his hair, his eyes leading me to understand.

"My dad is a mafia leader. I can take care of this problem," he tells me, caressing my face. I stare at him with wide eyes.

"Mafia? Your dad is... wait. Your dad is the Don?"

He nods, looking down. "He's who your dad owes money to."

"Is this why you've been around me? Being nice to me? Helping me?" I grit out, pushing him away from me. It's like the air I finally got to flow through me again was once again knocked out of me.

"At first, yes. But not anymore. Taking care of Brian isn't part of it. I've seen how he acts around you. You may have just actually noticed me, but with me having to watch you for my dad, I've noticed a lot about you. It's not just about the job. I wanted to get to know you. You're not who everyone thinks you are." He stays at a distance, letting me mull over the words he's just spoken. The air slowly returns to my lungs as I register his words.