What Is Going On?

Song: You Say by Lauren Daigle

It's been two months since my stay in the hospital, and since I moved in with my mom. I still spend quite a bit of time at Jake's though, when he's not busy with the family 'business'. I've been back to school for about a month now after completely healing, and everyone can tell I'm a changed person.

I'm no longer the bitchy queen bee with fake friends. I dropped all of them except for Dani, Kira, and Jake's friends, Ollie and Q. I'm a fuck ton nicer to everyone else too, and surprisingly have only become more popular. Which I don't give a fuck about my popularity anymore. Jake changed that for me.

Therapy has also been helping me a lot. I decided to try the medications when the nightmares became too much for me, and I was barely sleeping. Jake was getting really worried about me, everyone was. As much as I hate relying on medication to help me, this is one I needed. And it's definitely been helping.

"So, how are things going with bad boy mafia son?" Dani asks me as we put stuff into our lockers.

"Everything is going great," I respond with a smile, grabbing the book I need for my next class. "He's not at school today for some reason though. He hasn't responded to me this morning."

"I'm sure everything's fine. You know his dad, probably something important," Dani says with a shrug. I nod, not completely convinced. Kira walks up to us, her eyes wide.

"Did you guys see Howie?" she asks, motioning behind her. "Every now and again I see him come to school looking beat up. Like, I know he isn't popular, but I don't think kids here have done it. Do you think it's his parents?" Her question is directed at me, and I shrug.

"Howie Prince? It's hard to say. I don't know him very well. I always hid everything, so who knows what he's going through. I might talk to him though, just because I know what that's like."

"I think that's a good idea. Show people you're seriously not who you used to act like you were," Dani suggests, and I nod.

"I'll go talk to him. See you guys later." I wave to them, and set off in Howie's direction. Once he sees me, his eyes widen, and he starts to walk away. "Howie! Wait!" He freezes, and slowly turns around.

"I don't have it, I promise," he says, raising his hands in the air in surrender. I give him a confused look.

"What are you talking about? Are you okay?" He slowly drops his arms, also looking confused.

"You're not here about the money my dad owes?" he questions, making me even more confused.

"Howie, I haven't a clue what you're going on about. But I've noticed your bruises and stuff lately. I just wanted to make sure you're okay," I tell him softly.

"I... You don't know?" he scoffs, shaking his head. "This is the work of your boyfriend, Emma." I stare at him, speechless.

"Jake? I... He wouldn't...," I trail off, knowing if his dad made him, he would. "When did this start?"

"About a month ago, the sixteenth of April to be exact," he tells me, and my stomach drops. That's the day I told Jake my feelings for him. The day he left me and made me feel rejected. The day he told me he loves me. He left to beat Howie up?

"I'm so sorry, Howie. How can I fix this? Please. What does your family owe? I'll pay it. I'll make it stop. I'm so sorry," tears are falling down my cheeks now, and he looks stunned.

"This isn't your fault, Emma. It's my dads for getting into business with the Don. He's paying him back slowly now. Don't do it. Please." I slowly nod, and he walks away.

What the hell am I going to do about Jake, though? I can't believe he's been hiding this shit from me. Speak of the devil, the school doors swing open, and in he walks with Q and Ollie. Jake immediately spots me and smiles, then frowns when he notices I'm crying.

He starts to walk towards me, but I put a hand up, stopping him in his tracks. I turn and sprint down the hallway, ignoring him calling my name. I run outside, and out to my car. Once's I'm in it, the tears start pouring down my cheeks.

There's a loud knock on my window, making me jump. I look up to see a worried Jake outside of my car. "Open the door, Emma." His voice is muffled by the window. I shake my head, starting my car.

"Emma! What the fuck is going on?" He's pulling at his hair now, but I just shake my head, and drive away.

Where the hell can I go? He knows everyone I know. He knows everywhere I would go. Fuck. I don't know what to do. I just need time to think about everything I just learned, without him coming to find me.

I decide to go somewhere I haven't gone in years. I go to church. I go somewhere I can repent my sins, and ask for forgiveness and answers. I go somewhere he won't look for me.

I pull into the parking lot, and get out of my car. Once I step inside, I feel a sense of calm wash over me. The pastor at the front smiles at me, and walks over to me.

"Emma. It's been a while. How are you doing, dear?" Pastor Dean asks me.

"A lot has happened, Pastor. Can we speak in confessional?" He nods, and leads the way. I step into one side, and he goes into the other.

"Tell me everything," he says, and I begin to spill every single thing that has happened in the last four years.

Since the last time I was here. Before my dad made me stop coming because he believed it was brainwashing me and didn't want the word of God in his household. I spill everything about what he did to me. I spill everything about Jake. I don't stop talking until I'm choking on my own tears, and the door opens, and Pastor Dean pulls me into a hug.

And I finally feel clean of everything.