Continuing The Cantelli Name

Song: You Are The Reason by Calum Scott

My eyes land on Jake's unconscious body as soon as I step into his hospital room. Everyone agreed to let me go first, and I couldn't be more thankful for that. I take a seat next to the side of his hospital bed, and gently take his hand into mine.

"Jake?" I whisper, wondering if he's awake or can hear me. No response. "I'm so glad you're okay, baby. I...I thought I lost you again. I know you can't hear me but... I'm pregnant, Jake. We're going to have a baby, and I need you here to help me. Our baby needs their daddy." Tears stream down my face, and my free hand goes to my flat stomach.

"Dani and Kira are going to go with me to the OBGYN here to check on the baby. I don't even know how far along I am," I sigh, running a hand through my hair, something I've done a lot the last 6 hours.

It's currently a little past midnight, and I know I need to sleep soon. I'll probably end up sleeping in here tonight, after letting everyone else visit for a short time.

——

I'm woken up in the middle of the night, to someone squeezing my hand. I slowly open my eyes, and lift my head up, confused. Then I remember I'm in Jake's hospital room. My eyes land on Jake, and I see him looking at me.

"Jake?" I gasp, jumping out of my seat in shock.

"Princess," he whispers, his voice hoarse.

"Let me get you some water." I pull my hand from his for a moment to grab a cup of water, and hand it to him, helping him to get the straw in his mouth.

"Thank you, princess," he smiles slightly, after taking a long sip of water.

"I...I can't believe you're awake." Tears are streaming down my face once again, as I take a seat next to him again.

"I want to go with you," he tells me, and I look at him confused.

"Go with me where?" He reaches his hand out, and places it on my stomach. My eyes drop to his hand and I gasp, flicking my eyes back to his.

"To the OBGYN," he responds, a small smile on his face.

"You... You heard me?" My voice is barely a whisper.

"I did. You're pregnant." I place my hand on his and smile.

"I am. I... I was gonna tell you after you were healed and out of the hospital."

"I'm gonna be a dad," he whispers, tears in his eyes.

"I can't tell if you're happy or not," I mutter, looking down at our hands.

"Emma." I look up when he says my name. "I am very happy. Obviously it's not the timing we both probably would have wanted, but I am so happy and so excited. And also very scared."

"Me too. Continuing the Cantelli name." Which is good and bad in equal parts.

"That's the part that scares me. Being a Cantelli comes with a lot of responsibility, and as you already know, danger. But, we will talk this out more when I'm not highly medicated," he says, making me laugh.

"I'm so glad you're okay," I whisper, taking his hand from my stomach and kissing it softly.

"What's happened with Monte?" he asks, and I freeze. My eyes slowly look up at his.

"He's dead," I tell him, clearing my throat.

"How?" I look down, feeling the tears forming again.

"I shot him with the gun strapped to your calf," I whisper so softly, I don't even know if he could hear me.

"I know that your mind is a mess right now, but just know this, you saved me. If you didn't shoot him, he probably would have come after me again, or after you and our baby," he tells me, caressing my cheek.

I know he's right, but it's hard to see past the 'killing someone' part of it all.

——

"Hi guys! I'm Dr. Wade. I hear you're expecting a baby!" a perky brunette chirps, as she comes into the hospital room. She agreed to come to Jake's room, since he can't move anywhere right now.

"We are," I respond, smiling at Jake. They brought another bed into the room, so she can do an ultrasound on the baby.

"Congratulations! Alright, Emma, I'm going to have you lay back, and I'm going to apply this gel to your stomach. I've warmed it up, so it shouldn't be cold," she says with a smile.

I nod, and lay back on the bed, pulling my shirt up to my bra. She tucks a cloth into the top of my jeans, and applies the gel to my stomach. She takes the ultrasound wand and uses it to move the gel around, then looks to her monitor.

Suddenly, we can hear the heartbeat. I immediately start to cry. My eyes flicker over to Jake, and it looks like he's crying too. He grabs for my hand, and I place mine in his. He squeezes it, his eyes never leaving the monitor.

"And there is your baby," Dr. Wade says, pointing to the monitor. "You appear to be about 9 weeks along, which puts the date of conception around December 8th."

My mind automatically clicks with that day. The day I ran into Jake. The day we had sex in his car. The moans and groans, him shouting my name, me screaming his. My eyes land on Jake, and he's already watching me, a slight smirk on his face. He remembers it too.

"Okay so um...," I clear my throat, coming back to reality and trying to not get myself turned on right now. "What would be the due date then?"

"So, that puts your due date at August 31st," she responds, taking images of the ultrasound. "Let me print these out for you, and I'll be right back."

She leaves the room after cleaning off my stomach, and I turn to look at Jake. "In seven months we will have a baby." He smiles and kisses my hand.

"I can't wait."