The Devil

Song: Wicked Game by Theory

The past couple of weeks, I stayed with Jake and his family. They even set up a room for me, until I can find my own place. I decided it would be safer for Dani if I didn't stay with her, in case my dad somehow found out where she lived.

I end up riding with Jake to school today, and you wouldn't believe the reactions we got. Everyone either looked shocked or jealous. Apparently us riding together immediately means we're dating or sleeping together. Every other day, we've driven separately, but walked in together.

"What if my dad shows up here? He's been blowing up my phone since I left. He's pissed." It's been on my mind every day since Jake found out. Wondering constantly when he'll pop up, always looking over my shoulder.

"Then I'll take care of it," he says simply. "I'll be around, even if you don't see me, just like every other day. Don't worry, princess."

I let out a sigh, but nod, slamming my locker shut. "Ready for Calculus?" I ask sarcastically.

"Oh fuck no." He laughs.

"Emma! Oh my goodness." Dee runs up to me, and hugs me tightly. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Dee. Why?"

"There was a fire at your house," she tells me. My eyes widen in shock.

"My dad?" I ask, needing to know if he's alive or not. She shrugs. "I have to go."

I run out of the school, Jake, Dee and Kira yelling after me to stop. I run past Ollie and Q and they call out for me too, but I keep going. My house is a ten minute walk from here.

I get to my house, and there's barely anything left. From outside, it looks like it started on the top floor, in my room. I push the front door open, ducking under the caution tape.

The first floor isn't too badly damaged, but you can tell it was getting there, until the firefighters put it out. I go towards the stairs, but don't dare to climb them. Who knows how unstable they are.

"I knew you'd come back." I freeze. No. Slowly, I turn around, coming face to face with my dad. 

"Please. Don't," I beg, and he smirks. He grabs my arms tightly, and pushes me back, slamming my head into the wall behind me. I start to feel dizzy instantly.

"You don't get to fucking leave. Did I fucking tell you that you could, you bitch?" he seethes, hitting my head again. I drop to the floor, and he knees me in the face, making me fall to my back. He starts to kick me in the stomach and ribs, and I cry out in pain.

Suddenly, my dad is thrown off of me, and I hear punches being thrown. I look over, and through my blurry vision I see Jake, holding a gun, his fists bloodied, and blood running from his nose. My dad is staring up at him with wide eyes, his hands up in surrender. Jake definitely got in more hits than my dad did. Not surprising though. Jake is trained for fighting.

"I fucking warned you, Carter," his voice says, and there's a gunshot that rings through the house. Jake is standing over my dad's mostly unconscious body, with Kian and another guy right behind him. "Next time, it goes in your head."

"Jake," cry out, choking on the blood pooling in my mouth. His head snaps in my direction, and he's next to my side in an instant.

"You're gonna be okay," he says, dropping down next to me. There's sirens blaring outside, and paramedics rush into the house. Jake grabs my hand, but I slowly fade out of consciousness, and my hand goes limp.

Jake's POV

Emma's hand goes limp in mine, and my eyes snap up to her face. Her eyes are closed, and she's barely breathing. The blood and fresh bruises on her face, makes me want to go back and finish the job on her dad.

"Move out of the way, sir," one of the paramedics says, and I move back, my eyes never leaving Emma.

They begin to stabilize her, and I see the other paragraph taking her dad out of the house. Police show up to the house, and I know they'll want to question me.

I look outside, and see my dad talking to the cops, Ollie and Dee standing behind him. They all look in my direction, when I step outside, following Emma's stretcher. They load Emma into the back of an ambulance, and as much as I want to ride with her, I know I can't.

"Mr. Cantelli," one of the cops calls out to me. I sigh, and walk over to him, watching the ambulance drive away.

"Yes, officer?" The police and my dads crew don't always get along, but this guy, I don't recognize him.

"I'm Officer Trent Swayze. Emma Carter, the one in that ambulance, is my niece. Can you tell me what happened here?" Emma's uncle?

"You're Emma's uncle? And you don't know what happened?" I'm angry. Her uncle is a cop, and he has no idea what her dad was doing to her?

"I don't. Nathan never let me have contact with her, especially after my sister left him."

"He was beating her. Emma. She has bruises and cuts all over her face, and I'm sure on her body too. Probably more now, after he kicked her in the ribs, just before I shot him in the stomach." His eyes hold guilt and sadness, and he nods as he looks down, writing it all down in his notepad.

"Why didn't you shoot to kill? I know all about your family, I know it wouldn't have been hard to do." I roll my eyes at that. Of course he knows my family.

"I was given orders to wound, not kill. He needs to stay alive, and away from Emma. He needs to go to jail." If I could have killed him, I would have. My dad ordered me to only seriously injure. I called him on my way here.

"Alright. Thanks. And thanks for saving my niece." I nod, and he walks away.

"I'm going to the hospital," I call out to my dad, as I walk to my car. He just nods, as he takes care of business. I hop into my mustang, and speed away from the house.

I'm sure I'll get an earful later from my dad for not being with Emma when this happened, but right now, I don't fucking care. I need to get to Emma. I need to know that she is okay. That she will make it. She left the school, and I didn't get to her fast enough. If anything happens to her, it's my fault.