One in a Million

We picked the date. July 5th. I couldn't wait. We picked that date for a number of reasons but mainly 1) Axl was going on tour at the end of July and Landry and I were going too. 2) That had always been my date to get married since I was little.

I was driving to another dress fitting with Bella. Just her,myself and my other friends in the wedding. We decided to make an entire girls day out of it. Dress fitting, lunch, spa, movie...It was going to be great.

My phone rang.

"Hello."

"Harley! We got it!" It was Derrek.

I was momentarily confused. "Got what?"

"Victoria's Secret baby!! They want you!"

I was shocked. Happy. Elated.

"We got it!! Yes!!" I started screaming.

"Alright.  Come in tomorrow and we'll go over the details than we will speak with them and finalize the deal." Derrek sounded as happy as I was.

I turned to the girls. "Guess what? I got Victoria's Secret! "

They let out cheers and congratulations. 

"Now we can celebrate even more." Bella said.

"Hell yeah!" I shouted.

We had a great day that lasted well into the night. I was so excited and happy.  I had called Axl and told him the news. He sounded happy but strange too.

I was having trouble eating though. Nothing really sounded good to me. I think I had even lost a few pounds which wasn't good being a model. I can't get too thin.

I arrived home late and I was tired. Axl was still up waiting for me.

"Hi baby." I kissed him.

"How was your night?" He asked.

"Great. How was your day?"

We chatted for a bit.

Then, he said, "I've been thinking. I think I am going to see Dr.Bruce.  I need to get on medication. "

I was floored. Had I stepped into the twilight zone?

"Uh, Axl I am so happy. What made you decide?"

" I'm tired of feeling this way. And, I don't want this to affect our daughter.  She saw me lose it today and it scared her. I don't like scaring her or you."

I sat down next to him and gave him a huge hug and kiss.

"This is great news and I am behind you 100%. Whatever you need I'm here."

He smiled. "I knew you would say that. I love you."

"I love you too."

We decided to go to sleep and I was so tired I was out within minutes.

The meeting with Derrek went well. We worked through our end and we're meeting with the team from Victoria's Secret in the morning. This was really happening. I was still in a bit of shock.

I went home early because I wasn't feeling very good. I think last night caught up to me. I went home and took a 3 hour nap.

We were sitting in the conference room and I was sweating.  I wasn't liking where this was going. In order to for me to be the main model I had to spend six months to a year in Paris.  Starting July 5th.

No. This couldn't be happening. I tried everything I could think of to get them to change it. The wedding? Don't care. Landry? That's not their problem. What in the world am I going to do?

I walked out with Derrek.  I was so distraught I actually got sick in the bathroom on the way out the door.

"Derrek,  I- "

"Don't say it Harley. Just think about it."

"But, Axl?  Our wedding? Landry?  I'm just so,so,confused. "

"Look, I understand all that. But, this is your brass ring. What you've been waiting for. You turn this down and you will be dead in this industry.  There are thousands of girls who would kill to be in your position right now. Don't blow it."

I just hung my head and walked to my car.

This should've been happy. This was supposed to be the happiest times of my life. Instead, I have to choose between my family and my career.

It wasn't fair.  I was whining, I know. I wish I could talk to Paul. He hasn't spoken to me since everything happened with his wife. I'm not really sure why either.

But,  this was the pinnacle of all I had worked for. The dream I had been going for. What I've always wanted. But, yet there was my family.

The family I had always wanted. And, I don't want to give them up. Its not like I can ask them to wait for me. The band isn't going to put their tour on hold for me. That's ridiculous.

I pulled into the driveway and sat there for a second. My head spinning. My heart broken.

Landry came around the corner walking Lady. "Hi mom. How was work?"

"Oh, good. How was your day?"

She smiled. "Great! Uncle Duff took me for a motorcycle ride!"

"He did?"

"Dad let him but we had to go slow and I wore a helmet."

I laughed and walked in.

I was about to call for Axl when my phone rang. 

"Hello."

"Harley?  This is Stephanie from Dr. Maxwell's office."

My heart started pounding. Could it be?

"Yes," I said in anticipation.

"We got your tests back and congratulations you're pregnant. "

I almost dropped the phone.

"Are you sure?" I asked stupidly.

She laughed. "Of course. As long as their no issues call back in a week to set up your first appointment. "

I thanked her and hung up.

I stared at my phone. My decision was made.

I called Derrek.

He answered on the first ring. He sounded like he was smiling.

"Do you have good news for me?"

"Actually,yes."

I took a deep breath.

"I'm not taking the deal. I'm pregnant and getting married. "

I could hear Derrek practically gasping for breath.

"Harley-"

"No. My mind is made up. .

He was having an episode of some kind so I hung up happy and peaceful. I knew o made the right decision. I had one daughter, another baby on the way and I was marrying a wonderful man.

Yes, life is good. I have a one in a million life. I ran upstairs to tell Axl the good news.