10. Nightmares

Percy

Annabeth and I sat on a park bench, the summer sum beating down on us. In front of us, a little boy, no older than 5 was playing on the playground. He had black hair with big gray eyes, the exact color of Annabeth's. He went down the slide and giggled in joy. Annabeth had her head rested on my shoulder. The little boy came running towards us with something in its little fist.

"Mommy! Daddy! Look what I got!" he shouted showing us what was in his hand. Annabeth cupped the boys hands in her own. There was a little grasshopper (poor thing must have been crushed in the kids hands). "Wow sweety, it's a grasshopper" said Annabeth with a smile. I leaned over to look closer. "Sweet!" I said looking at the wicked cool grasshopper in the kids hands.

"You know honey, you should probably put the grasshopper down, so it can go home to its family" said Annabeth. "But mommy, I want to keep it" he said. "I know you do, but this little guy has a family and friends, and if you keep it, he won't be able to go see them. How would you like to not see Jessica Hazel anymore?" asked Annabeth. The little boy frowned but then nodded. "Fine, I will put him back" he said before running off. I laughed once he was gone and Annabeth just smiled at me.

Suddenly, I heard the little boy scream. Annabeth and I both ran towards the scream, as if on instinct. There, Octavian was holding the little boy by his throat. "No!" I screamed. Annabeth held me back as I tried to tackle him. The boy continued screaming. "Please let him go!" begged Annabeth who was sobbing. "Never, this boy shall suffer, just as I have" snarled Octavian. Then, the boys screams went mute. His lifeless body was limp in Octavian's grip. He dropped the boy and I ran towards him.

I cradled his delicate body, sobbing. Just then, I heard Annabeth scream. I whirled around and saw a knife in here chest. Annabeth coughed up blood then fell to the ground. Octavian stood over her body, laughing like a mad man. I screamed and tackle him to the ground, I began beating him senseless until his body went limp. He was dead.

I crawled over to Annabeth's body and held her close as I sobbed. Then, I heard distant screams, it was Annabeth, she was calling my name over and over again. I opened my eyes and saw that I was laying in bed, with Annabeth at home. I looked at her and pulled her into a bear hug.

I held her in my arms and sobbed. "Percy, your okay now, it was just a dream" she said over and over again, rocking me back and forth.

"I didn't even know his name" I cried. "Whose name? What did you see?" asked Annabeth. "It was beautiful. We were at a park, we had a son. He was just playing and Octavian-" I closed my eyes, trying to control myself. "He killed him, he killed our son, then he, he, he killed you" I said softly.

"Percy, it was just a dream, it's okay. We will find Octavian, I promise" she said holding me tightly.

I brushed away my own tears and I noticed Annabeth was crying too. "Why are you crying?" I asked. "You were gone. You were screaming and thrashing around for at least half an hour. I thought you would never stop" she said quietly. "Did I hit you?" I widened my eyes, searching her body for any marks. I instantly hated myself. "No, no, nothing like that. You were just, in pain and I couldn't do anything, it was like you were gone" she said, more tears began to fall.

"No, no, it's done. Everything is okay now" I said stroking her hair. "Let's sleep, get this night over with" she whispered. I nodded in agreement. I held her as she buried her head in my chest. We both fell into a blissful sleep after that.

***Really short chapter, I know, but with a lot of emotional crap. Almost made me cry. Enjoy, the book.