22 || Hunted

I am the unknown fighter
A dark horse coming for you

MIRABELLE'S   SWAN

Rose smiled at her handiwork. She'd given me some baseball gear to wear for today's game. Of course, I wasn't about to play with a bunch of supernaturals but she enjoyed playing dress-up on me. It was the only way to lighten her sour mood when Edward said he was bringing my sister. As much as I wish they did, it was starting to look like Rosalie might never accept my sister into the coven. She had her own reasons for it. None of which I could convince her otherwise. 

Her not trying to kill my sister was good enough for me.

"You actually look cute." She complimented. "You're lucky to have a friend like me."

"I was born this way," I said, flipping my hair over my shoulder sassily. "Okay, that felt wrong."

"It was disturbing to watch." A small smile broke onto her face.

Jasper walked over, giving his sister a subtle look of wanting her to leave us. She rolled her eyes and went over to Carlisle to hear what the teams were. Jasper wrapped his arms around my waist, making me instinctively circle his neck with my own. He pressed a loving kiss to my forehead. "You look amazing. I hope you'll be cheering for me."

"Of course. I have a bet with Rose that you'll make more home runs than Emmett." 

"Hope she's ready to lose her money then."

Jasper always made me smile. It's ridiculous that my cheeks never drooped. Lines were beginning to form around my mouth. Last night we managed to work things out. There was no guarantee that Jasper wouldn't revert back to his insecure self. His heart might've stopped but in the end, he never lost his human emotions. Love, jealousy, fear, hate - those were all real parts of him that I needed to learn to accept.

Being in a relationship wasn't easy. It meant caring for another person; being considerate of them and vice versa. A lot of give and take was required to make it work. I was so used to being free that having him in my life seemed like a drag. And yet, we always found each other coming back to one another. That was all the proof I needed that I was really hooked on this guy. No one else could make me feel the way he did. My fear of losing him outweighed my irritation. Jasper was no different from me. To him, losing me was the same as dying.

"Jazz, you know I love you, right?"

He seemed genuinely surprised by the statement. "I love you too, darling."

"What did I tell you about the accent? You're going to make me jump you, Major."

His topaz eyes sparkled. "Careful now. There're children around."

"Hey, can you two stop getting it on," Emmett shouted from his place on the outfield. "Hurry up and get ready so I can kick your ass man!"

I shook my head with a laugh. "Speaking of children...Go on, before he starts throwing a tantrum." We separated so Jasper could start warming up and I could greet my sister. She still wasn't very comfortable around the entire family. It wasn't because they were vampires or anything. Well, that was a small part of the reason but it was mostly just those new-girlfriend jitters. She so badly wanted their approval that she didn't realize she already had it (except from Rosalie).