One- Shot: I Don't Remember

Okay, I promised, and so here is my very first one-shot chapter!  Shout out to here4thecring3 for being the inspiration and prompter for this chapter!

Premise:  It was bound to happen, Y/n messed up on a VILE mission and now their mind is erased of everything related to Villains International League of Evil.  But... someone else still remembers.  P.S.:  had to chose a gender for this one, and since I check my demographics... It's a girl!

I Don't Remember

Y/n has adjusted well to her new surroundings. After waking up from the hospital with no memory of the her last five years. She remembered everything up to after the day she moved to New York. What luck to have, on her second day, get hit by a car!

The doctors told her it was five years ago, and the worst damage had been to her head. Hence, Y/n was physically fine. But five whole years.... gone.

Did her family know where she was? Why weren't they here? Did she still have a job? Likely not when you don't show up for five years. It was lucky y/n had ID or would have been declared a Jane Doe.

It took some time for y/n to be declared well enough to leave the hospital. Her family called, apparently they visited a lot while y/n was in the coma, but had to get back to their jobs for a short time around the country. Y/n was a little upset, but could hear the awkwardness of the apologies and assumed it was because of deep guilt. Y/n pondered her family's offer to go back home. She had spent five years in a city she had no memories with!

But for some reason, Y/n did not want to go back home. One reason being, her apartment looked vastly different than it did the day before her 'accident'. She has barely unpacked that day! Now it was a wide decor of colors, new furniture, and even some slightly spoiled food in the kitchen. The landlord explained there had been some supply and demand problems, and you had been given a technical roommate. But that person had recently up and abandoned the building, so all their stuff was y/n's if she wanted it.  

Y/n blamed the stress of the situation, but agreed to take what was in the apartment. Who knows? Maybe the mysterious roommate might decide to come back as suddenly as they left.  Up-for-grabs didn't exactly feel wrong to her, just... in this situation felt like unneccessary stealing!  Anyway, none of y/n's original belongings were stolen. So this person had at least been somewhat considerate to her.  Y/n partly hoped her unknown would come back and she could give them a proper thanks.

Tired out, Y/n sat down on the 'new' sofa and began thinking about options. A commitment had been made when y/n decided to move away from home. But if a coma happens on your second day, maybe the universe is saying you should pack up?

As y/n tried getting her thoughts together, down on the street, Mime Bomb stared sadly up at the apartment's light.

He knew VILE protocols stated memory wipes were absolute for a shadow organization. But five years y/n had lost... even more he'd lost. His favorite person. All the time they'd had. Every memory of him no longer existed for y/n. He wanted to go up there, tell y/n what was really happening! That they'd been in a deep relationship, lived in that apartment together, snuck around VILE rules to be together!

But the one stupid slip up. Y/n got captured. Mime Bomb got y/n out. But her memories still needed to be erased. Mime Bomb didn't even get the chance to 'say' good-bye.

How could he now? Y/n wouldn't know what he was saying, and how freaky would it be for a mime to show up at your door to-

Inspiration.

Mime Bomb slipped into the shadows and headed towards his new base. VILE had rules about operatives being in relationships, but they were less restricting about civilians!

The next day...

Y/n decided to at least go to the job office she had been originally going to. A sort of self-responsibility. Maybe they would even have a different job opening by now. She wasn't sure, it just felt like the best way to cope was to get back on track. Y/n cemented her determination with a deal: if there was no job to be had in New York, she would move back to her family.

So, fully dressed and ready to face the unexpected, y/n opened the door to leave the apartment! Only to see someone completely unfamiliar, looking nervous and as surprised as y/n. 

 The person was a young man. He was tall and very skinny , with shaggy, red, messy hair, a freckled face and was wearing the plainest clothes y/n had ever seen. Something about this stranger's eyes struck y/n. They were blue, yet had some kind of grey shading.  

Not to mention expressive.

Y/n took an immediate guess of why this man was was here. "You're... the other person who lives here?"

The stranger responded with a nod. Okay, so they weren't an intruder. "I'm Y/n L/n. It's nice to meet you! Um... did anyone tell you why I came back?"

Mime Bomb had to stop himself mid eye-roll. He knew the real reason better than even y/n. Instead he nodded yes, and made a sleeping gesture followed by a quick wake up.

"Uh...." was y/n's response.

Mime Bomb felt a twinge of heartbreak. But he had seen this coming. He pulled out a card from his pocket and handed it to y/n. It read: 'I have a genetic condition called selective mutism. I can hear, but use sign language.'

Y/n's eyes went up in realization. "Oh!"

A part of Mime Bomb wished the next thing y/n would say something like: I remember you! You're Mime Bomb, my boyfriend! VILE's tech must have had a glitch and now I have all my memories back!

"I see." Is what y/n said instead. "Oh, I get it! You were miming a coma! Yes, I was just released from the hospital yesterday."

Mime Bomb had the sense to nod solemnly. Y/n continued on. "Well, here. I guess this apartment is more yours than mine."

Y/n stepped aside, allowing Mime Bomb to step inside the room. Your whole relationship happened here. He could call on so many memories from this room, yet y/n was now a stranger to it...to him...

"They...the landlord told me. You'll only have to put up with me for a few more days, at most! If I can get a job, I'll find somewhere else. If I can't, then I'm going back home."

This startled Mime Bomb. Y/n was going to leave forever!? At the moment, when he was so distressed and distracted, Mime Bomb tripped over the edge of the rug, face-planting into the floor!

'Real smooth...' he thought.

Y/n reacted with a yelp! "Oh my gosh!" Ran over to help Mime Bomb up, and when y/n did they got a good look at the man. His face was flushed red from the embarrassment of the fall, but... every feature, those little details, even that act of clumsiness was a bit endearing. "Hey, um..." now y/n was blushing. "I know you can't technically 'talk' but... could I ask you a few things? I want to know more about what I missed these five years."

A spark of hope! He could get y/n to stay!

Mime Bomb happily nodded.

The next three hours had these two sharing the kitchen and sitting areas. Y/n found that this man was an excellent listener (like he had a choice), and wrote down all the answers to her questions, adding in even more helpful information at times. Eventually, y/n brought up the question of Mime Bomb's name. "I just realized I never asked what you're called!"

Mime Bomb wanted so bad for y/n to remember him. To remember them. But as he talked with her, he realized how much the same and different both y/n of the past and present were. Both observant, sweet, beautiful, and intelligent. But... one of them was gone, maybe forever, and he had to be okay with that. So he wrote down a new name and passed it to y/n.

"Peter." Y/n read. It wasn't the truth...not that y/n would ever know. But this was still y/n and Mime Bomb still loved them.

Y/n stared at that piece of paper for a few minutes. Perhaps wondering why he didn't give a last name. Then said, "Ya know, Peter? I really want to stay here. I never got the chance to see the city before my accident."

Mime Bomb quickly wrote: Would you let me take you around? There are great parks, pastry stands, museums, and lots of places to eat!

Y/n watched as 'Peter' so enthusiastically wrote the message. Reading it over, it was almost like y/n could hear a distinct voice in her head. Y/n wanted to get to know the city. But... now they also wanted to get to know 'Peter' better.

"I would love that, Peter. Any place you want to take me would be a real adventure. Are you sure you don't mind me sticking around?"

His message said: What's mine is yours. I just need a place to rest my head until my job pulls me away. We can split the rent. I can even get help you get another job if your first choice says no.

Y/n's smile was as pure and bright as ever. "Thank you so much! I honestly can't remember if I've ever found such a caring person as you, Peter. But maybe one just doesn't exist!"

'Maybe...' Mime Bomb thought, 'and maybe things could be even better than they were before.'

A/n:  So, feedback?  Like it, hate it?  Go back to preferences or do another one-shot?  I got some time.  Please comment!