Chapter 1: Seven Years Ago

I take in another breath of open air. A small purple flame dances in my cupped hands that are resting on my crossed legs. I sneak a peek at my dad, who's in the same position I'm in, except there's no flame in his hands. These meditating sessions are pretty long and irritating, but Dad has said that this would help make my quirk stronger. I don't know if this is true or not, but a seven year old's gotta do what his parents tell him, right?

Becoming a bit more bored, I watch my dad's short, black hair slightly blow in the breeze. My eyes trail off from my Dad's peaceful face and scan our surroundings. He and I are sitting on a picnic blanket in a quiet park. There are a few trees in the area, and the narrow roads separating the park and the tall buildings of Japan are a good few meters away from our blanket.

"Yurei," I hear my dad talk and hurriedly turn my attention back to him. "Your flame went out."

I look down at my now clasped hands and open them, revealing nothing in between. "Aw, nuts," I sigh. "I'm not gonna make my second flame appear at this rate." I stubbornly cross my arms in immature frustration.

"Not with that attitude," my dad chuckles. "You're losing your focus, Spook." He ruffles my jet black hair. Spook is the nickname he gave me. I like it. How often do you get to be called a more unique nickname other than Sport or Buddy? "You wanna try again, or practice what you can do with that one flame of yours?"

"I wanna learn.. purr-a-norm-al cha-os like you!" I argue. Paranormal Chaos is a special move my dad had taught himself. It's where he summons a whole armada of ghost minions and has them fly around the room to confuse his opponents.

"Now, Yurei, in order to do that, you need to summon more flames. I know you can learn Paranormal Chaos, but it takes a lot of practice. At the same time, you haven't even summoned your first minion yet."

"Then how do you know I can?"

"Alright," Dad picks me up and sets me on his lap. "You wanna hear the story again?" I nod in enthusiasm, knowing which story he's talking about. "Here's the deal then: while I talk, I want you to hold your flame in this hand," he holds up my right. "and open the other one on your knee. Got it?"

For the sake of my entertainment, I concentrate hard and call on my first flame in both hands. I then balance it in my right hand and open my left. "Got it."

"Alright," he begins. "Once upon a time, there was a big ol' mean man. He had a quirk just like mine. He could lift stuff in the air with his mind, and he could bring in a whole buncha little ghost friends."

"He had the same quirk as you, cause that man was you, Dad."

"Wow," my dad exclaims with fake amazement. "It's like you've heard this one before. Wait a tick. You have!" He playfully glares at me as I laugh at his reaction. "Anyway, this mean man had friends who were as bad as him. And together, they would all go do all sorts of bad things, like stealing money or destroying buildings. Do you know what a group of bad guys like that is called, Yurei?"

"It's called.. a.. gang!"

"Very good! This gang couldn't be caught. The police tried and tried to catch the man and his partners in crime, but they had no luck. The gang was too fast and too clever. This band of men thought they'd be able to do whatever they wanted, but then one day, the mean man remembered someone. Someone who cared for him very much; a beautiful, perfect, young woman who had a quirk that could allow her to move through solid objects."

"Mommy!" I bounce a bit in excitement as I recognize this woman.

"That's right! So the mean man thought about what she would think about him if he kept stealing and hurting people. He figured she wouldn't be very happy, and this made the man feel very sad." Dad puts on a fake frown to show as an example. "So then one day, after thinking it over, the mean man quit the gang and went to the police station. He told the police to lock him up as a punishment for all the bad things he did."