Chapter 23: Internship Final

The rest of my stay at the hospital is fairly uneventful. I'm to be released in the evening, but in the meantime, I play a few games of Shogi with Suka. I'm beginning to understand his different play styles and find ways to counter them all. Finally, the doctor dismisses me, so I pack up the Shogi set, bid Phoenix goodbye and a proper recovery, and leave. First Mate had long left the place herself, and Suka decides to fly ahead, so I'm walking down the hallway to the elevator by myself. I turn down the correct hall to find Iida patiently waiting at the stainless-steel doors. His arms aren't in casts anymore, so that's a good sign. He looks over upon my approach.

"Good evening, Seshin," he greets.

"Sup."

"Are you heading back to your internship as well?"

"Yeah, I got a test in the morning before I head out, so I'd best be back for that."

"Wise of your supervisors to quiz you while you're gone from school. Midterms are approaching, may I point out."

"Oh, yeah, that is coming up, isn't it? It's actually not what you think. I'm trying to get better at multitasking, so my 'test' is playing multiple Shogi games at once with my supervisors."

"Well that's an odd method, but best of luck either way."

"Thanks."

The elevator arrives, letting us on, and Iida pushes the button for the lobby floor. As we ride down, I want to carry on the conversation but also don't want to hold him back from leaving.

"Do you know if your path back to your internship heads to the train station?" I ask.

"If my memory is on point from this week's patrols, then I believe it does."

"Would you mind if I walked with you until we part ways then?"

"Not at all."

The elevator stops, and we board off. While exiting the building, I try to gather my words to say something. I'm trying to figure how to talk without going the wrong way with things. Iida seems to take notice.

"Seshin, you look uncomfortable. Is there something you want to talk about?"

Dang. He's good. There's no way out of it now.

"Iida, I'm sorry."

"Hm?" He looks confused. "What for?"

"If you remember, I basically told you to shoot for revenge. Right?"

". . . Yes, I remember. . ."

I watch my words as we're now in a public area since we were just sworn to secrecy. "I know it officially never happened, but I'm sure you wouldn't have done what you did if I just kept my mouth shut. So, I'm sorry."

Iida takes a second to check our surroundings and choose his own words. "Yes, I admit I was a bit.. inspired by what you told me. I understand that you were dealing with your own problems at that time and possibly still are, so there's no need to apologize. I should've stuck with my original thinking and trusted that the matter would be dealt with by pros." He glances down at his hand. "My right hand may have been permanently damaged, but that's a punishment of my own actions."

Despite his reassurances, I can't help but cringe. "Dang. I'm landing everyone in the hospital. Phoenix, Shipwreck, now you."

Iida chuckles. "I told you didn't do this to me. You're talking like Todoroki."

"What?"

"He thinks that he's cursed to get people's hands hurt in some way."

I get in on the joke. "Wait, Todoroki has two quirks?" We laugh at the idea.