Chapter 22: Getting Back Up Again

Author's note: Heeeeeere's the Ship-Shape Pros!! And that's it really. Enjoy the chapter!

The visit to the station was pretty boring. Investigators questioned me about my encounter with Plague and tried to get any more information they could. I tried to avoid bringing up my grudge against the League of Villains as the officers would surely have just told me to cool my jets and let the pros handle it, so it wasn't worth bringing up.

The investigation was cut short as the deep punctures in my arm were becoming more noticeable, so they rushed me to the same hospital where the captain just happened to be recovering. First Mate and Suka were there as well, paying him a visit and, while they were there, checking what would happen to me. I had lost a bit of blood, so I was quickly treated and prescribed to stay the night at the hospital with a familiar face.

Phoenix was still unconscious with his shoulder so bandaged up, it looked like Auxi's own with all her straps. I've heard that a few other classmates are at the same hospital as well, but it was already late, so I pushed the idea of visiting for in the morning.

After First Mate and Suka left back to the agency, my room became incredibly quiet itself, but my thoughts still pestered me. It was definitely a crazy night with the League of Villains, Nomus, and even getting Phoenix hurt. I had no idea how I was going to sleep with so much guilt, but, finally, sleep and I found each other.

I awake the next morning to the sound of busy staff rushing around the hallway. I sit up only to be greeted with a sharp pain in my elbow. Guess I'm still sore right there. Only makes sense. My arm's been in a cast all night. I grunt at the painful wake up call and rub my arm.

"Your joints killing you, too?"

I nearly jump and look over to see Phoenix sitting up as well and twiddling his thumbs in boredom.

I shrug. "It's not that bad. I can still move it, but it'll just be a bit."

"That's good. Oh hey, I got ya some food earlier." He motions to the tray on the opposite side of my bed. "Don't know what you like, so just did a bit of everything."

"Oh." I look over at the food on the tray and feel so much guilt weigh on my shoulders. First I nearly kill him and now he's going through the trouble of getting me food? I'm losing my appetite just thinking about it. I look back at him. "You.. seriously didn't have to do that."

"Nah, it's fine. I already got up to get my own then came back. But look, I was fricken bored, okay?! I needed to do something, but didn't know what else to do without getting in trouble, you know?"

"Oh." I still feel guilty just the same, so I move on to the question that most bothers me. "How's your shoulder?"

"It'll be fine. Might be a pain to fly every now and then, but I'll live."

I cringe at the result of my recklessness. "I'm so sorry," I sigh. "I messed up bad. I should've just waited for First Mate or someone to go with me into an unknown area."

"Yeah. You goofed real bad."

Thanks.

"But, if it makes you feel better, I did the exact same thing." I look at him in surprise. "See, about a couple days ago, baldy had come into the agency I work at and made a questionable assertion. When he had left, I was told that he was a highly wanted villain. It cheesed me off because that was so obvious, yet I let him get away. So, I swore I wouldn't let him escape again. Then I saw him in that room from the window and immediately acted. I didn't stop to think about anything, whether he had friends in there, why he was in there, nothing. I know my work was sloppy and I did this to myself," he slightly flaps his wing. "but... I'm gonna be honest. That was my first time ever to fight a villain."