Chapter 7: All or Nothing

I join with our new friends Mr. Aizawa and the rest of the class outside. There's a large dirt field outside the main building, and everyone waits for the gloomy teacher to begin. I check the time. At this rate, we're gonna miss orientation. What gives?

Finally, Aizawa tiredly announces. "Alright. So we're gonna start the semester with a quirk assessment test."

"What? A quirk assessment test??" The whole class parrots.

"But orientation!" a girl with brown hair whines. "We're gonna miss it!"

"If you really wanna make it to the big leagues, you can't waste time with pointless ceremonies," Mr. Aizawa responds. "Here at UA, we're not tethered to traditions. That means I get to run my class how I see fit."

If this is the case, it really seems like he's influencing us to skip out on meetings in our future, pointless or purposeful. I smirk as our dark teacher glares at each and every one of us to make sure he's got our full attention. He's pretty scary in a way, and I know scary; I'm basically a ghost for crying out loud!

"You've been taking standardized tests most of your lives," he continues. "but you've never gotten to use your quirks in physical exams before." He shows the class his phone that listed the standardized tests we've all taken quite a lot. "The country's tryin' ta pretend we're all created equal by not letting those with the most power excel. That's not rational. One day, the Ministry of Education will learn." He then looks at to Sicuto's attitude twin. "Bakugo, you managed to get the most points on the entrance exam."

My eyes shift at the blonde in a bit of surprise. Guess I shouldn't be though. One of us had to get the most points out of all of us.

"What was your furthest distance throw with a softball when you were in junior high?"

Who on earth keeps track of that?!

"Sixty-seven meters, I think."

Right. I guess people like him do.

"Right. Try doing it with your quirk." Mr. Aizawa hands him a leather ball and leads the boy into a circle with a lane that looked like in a hammer throw arena. "Anything goes; just stay in the circle."

The blonde, or Bakugo, glares at our teacher, not making a move to do as he was told.

"Go on, you're wasting our time," Mr. Aizawa tiredly demands. It's all about time with this guy, huh?

Bakugo shrugs and smirks. "Alright, man, you asked for it." He takes a pitching position, winds up, and violently hurls the ball. "DIE!!!" As he screams his word up motivation, a huge chain of explosions erupts from his hand, giving the ball more speed as it flies an insanely large distance down the lane. I squint at the sudden dirt and dust that blows up into my face from the devastating force.

Explosions, huh? Interesting quirk there.

As we wait for the ball to land, our teacher explains, "All of you need to know your maximum capabilities." We can all faintly see the ball land in the distance, and Mr. Aizawa turns his phone towards us to show us Bakugo's results. "It's the most rational way of figuring out your potential as a pro hero."

705.2 meters. Man, he's got some quirk. No wonder he placed first.

"Woah!" the lightning kid gasps. "705 meters?! Are you kidding me?!?"

"I wanna go!" the alien girl enthusiastically volunteers. "That looks like fun!"

"This is what I'm talkin' about!"  Sero interjects. "Using our quirks as much as we want!"

"So this looks fun, huh?" Mr. Aizawa corrects. He's become more strict as if he just heard an insult. Probably shouldn't have said anything. "You have three years here to become a hero. You think it's all gonna be games and playtime?" He glares at all of us with widened eyes, and a crooked, devious smile spreads across his lips. "Idiots."