Chapter 2: Breaching Limits

Seven years hurry by, and my quirk gets stronger and stronger. I am now fourteen years old and still growing. Over the years, I am able to summon three more flames, but with my new strength comes new problems. I discover that I would have these crazy breakdown sessions where my quirk becomes almost uncontrollable if I'm too angry. This first happens somewhere near the beginning of the second semester of eighth grade. It happens like this:

I've tried not to interact with anyone much, seeing as my quirk is constantly judged anyway. It isn't until I am walking through the hallways of Naetwo Middle when I hear something in one of the unused classrooms.

Okay, there wasn't anything posted of some special event or something happening in there. Eh, maybe it's just some kids sticking their noses where they shouldn't be. Not my problem. I start to continue down the hall for my next class, when I feel some kinda urge to go in the room. Alright, Yurei. Just ignore it. It's not your fault if they get in trouble. You got work to do.

Before I make another move however, I hear banging and almost someone yelling from the other side of the wall.

Dagnabbit, now I have to go in. I sigh out loud and walk to the door. Not wanting to announce that I had shown up, I summon flames in both my hands to phase through soundlessly. Silently stepping into the room, I catch sight of a group of boys standing in front of a closet.

One of the boys has scarlet hair with black tips that seems to threaten anyone who would dare cheese him off. His quirk isn't very obvious, but the boys flanking him obviously have mutation quirks. One has a scorpion tail, while the other looks like he has some sort of gooey gelatin as arms.

The closet in front of them pounds, and someone whines from inside. "C'mon, Sicuto, let me out!"

"You gonna give us the answers to the exam, Quills?" the middle boy mocks.

"N-no!"

"Then I don't see why I should."

"I don't get it, dude," the gelatinous boy states. "He usually cracks so easy. I dunno why he's being so stubborn today."

"M-my mom said that I shouldn't give bullies like you what you want, s-s-so I'm not gonna!"

"Quills!" The middle boy calls. "I'm gonna give you to the count of three, and you better spill, or you're never coming out!"

"No!"

Before he could start counting, I step forward. "'Scuse me." The boys turn in surprise. "I'm sorry, who you got in there?"

"Aw, make like a heavy box and scoot." The middle boy threatens.

I blink as I recognize the teen as one of my classmates, Riyaki Sicuto. He's pretty well know around the school for picking fights with other students. I don't know anything about his quirk though. Gotta play it safe. "Sicuto, was it? Listen, man, you're in a pretty bad position right now. I can legit walk on over to the hall monitor and inform him of your doings. Let the kid go, and we'll forget this happened."

Sicuto angrily looks over his shoulder at me and clutches his crossed arms, seeing I am right. He himself unlocks the closet door and swings it wide open. Inside, another boy leans nervously against the shelves in the closet.

The kid also has a mutation quirk: a porcupine. This explains why Sicuto called him Quills. His hair is fairly tall, about two-thirds the height of his head, and I notice that it's replaced with a patch of quills that run from all over the top of his head and down his back. They seem to brush down well as his quills ever so slightly poke at the back of his t-shirt. As the kid steps forward a bit, the light reflects off his brown pins like they've been gelled. He looks almost petrified as he slowly walks on quivering legs past Sicuto and his gang. Sicuto scoffs, as I gesture for the kid to leave. Still a bit dazed, the porcupine walks to the doorway and watches us.