Chapter 13: Let the Games Begin

I continue training; meditating, anger control, and multitasking. I even get a few tips from Dad as how to manage so many minions at once. Finally, before I know it, two weeks hurry by, bringing me to the day we've all trained for. The Sports Festival has come at last.

When I arrive, the place looks as much as a big deal as it is. The walkway up to the stadium is crowded with stands of many kinds, including food and games. The entrances are lined with people desperate to watch. A few well-known pros of the city are even roaming the outsides of the stadium as well. Despite so many distractions, my classmates and I go straight to the stadium locker room. We all change into our UA tracksuits and wait for Present Mic to call us out.

I stay seated and go over all the mental notes I made myself to prepare. I haven't yet mastered being able to control three minions, so I advise myself to avoid using three for the time being. That of course doesn't mean my sixth flame is useless. I can still perform Inner Demon with it and lift more objects. I just need to know when the perfect time to use either techniques should be.

"Hey, Seshin?" Kirishima wakes me from my thoughts and I look up at him. "Sorry, um, have you seen Tojuta? He said something about another outfit and left but hasn't returned. That was like fifteen minutes ago."

"I'll go find him. He probably just got lost or something." I stand and head to the door. Once I exit the room I scan the hallways. Remembering my trick back in the battle training, I pull out two minions and link them to a vision flame. Before I can send them out, I hear something down the hall.

"Last chance, Quills! Back out now and I guarantee you won't be miserably beaten!"

Really?! We're seriously doing this now?!?

I start to run down the hall, praying Sicuto doesn't hurt Tojuta. I then slow down as I hear Tojuta's quivering voice reply.

"I'm not letting my training go to waste. You're just being a selfish bully, lazily trying to open you a spot, my spot, in the hero course!"

I stop and listen carefully. This is my usually scared, porcupine friend, right? I carefully walk to the corner and peek around. Sure enough, Sicuto is looming over Tojuta, who is backed against a wall. The two stare at each other in anger and confidence. Tojuta's wearing a different looking tracksuit. It must've been specially made for him, because all his quills are laid down covering the open back side of the suit. I stay back, curious how this will turn out.

"You better watch your mouth, you little rodent. You can't beat me, and you know it!"

"But I can try! I'm not saying I will beat you, but at least I have friends who believe in me!"

"I said watch your mouth!!" Sicuto raises a hand to strike Tojuta. Before I can step out and stop him, Tojuta quickly turns to shield him himself and flashes his quills. Sicuto swings an open palm at the porcupine, only to have his hand get pricked by the unforeseen defense. Sicuto exclaims in pain and quickly pulls his hand back. I can see a couple pins sticking up from his hand.

Tojuta looks over his shoulder in surprise. "I.. uh.. meant to do that." He turns back around and shoots back, "Listen here, Riyaki! I'm not your punching bag anymore! Unless you think it's a good idea to battle a prickly bag.. anyway! I am going to participate in the Sports Festival, and I will guarantee you that bullies like you never win! If you're so scared of losing, you can leave yourself! Good day and good luck!" With that, Tojuta sharply turns and marches down the hall in my direction.

Wait... my direction! I don't want him to see that I'm spying on them!

I quickly phase myself and duck into the corner of the hall, ending up in a janitor's closet. Thank goodness. I hear Tojuta walk past and wait a bit. I finally step out and watch the door to the locker room close.