Chapter 11: The Demon Within

I had come home after the attack and went straight to bed. I was incredibly exhausted, so I skipped all the after school biz and crashed. When my mom asked about what happened and why I got home so late, I just vaguely inquired that I was tired and left it at that, which brings us to this morning.

My eyes squint at the beaming sun as my alarm annoyingly signals that it's time to get up. I send a flame at it and throw it across the room. Gourds, that thing is irritating! Mom must've set it while I was sleeping. School is cancelled today, so there's not really any reason to get up so early.

I sit up anyway and stare at my school uniform. The simple sight triggers a chain of yesterday's memories: the trip to the USJ, the attack on the USJ, the fire simulator, and the Frenchy, er, Aoyama nearly dying. The final thought reminds me of something else: my sixth flame! I was so tired, I completely forgot to tell my parents about it!

Having lost all interest of continuing to sleep, I sprint out of my room, my loose jacket flying behind me. Mom is in her room, having a meditating session of her own. I don't realize until it's too late. I burst into her room. "Mom!" I immediately retract and bite my lips as I just realized my mistake.

Her eyes shoot open and turn to me in surprise. "Yurei! Goodness, I expected you to be sleeping in."

"Sorry. I... forgot about your meditation."

"It's fine, it's fine. Now if you're this excited about something, it's probably good. What's going on?"

"Look." I sit down in front of her and bring in my five flames in a circle fashion behind me then summon the sixth in my hands.

"Your sixth?!"

"Uh-huh!"

"Oh, Yurei! Super job! Did you find out just this morning?"

"Actually it was yesterday during the fight. One of my classmates, Aoyama, was poisoned, and I-!"

"Waitwaitwait, back up." Mom stops me and her smile almost instantly fades to a look of concern. "You were in a fight yesterday? And someone was poisoned?! Who was this with?"

Oh, yeah, crap. I didn't tell her about the attack yesterday. I cringe as I expect her to explode from my response.

"The facility was attacked by an army of villains..."

Mom is silent for a few seconds. "What?!?" She quickly begins look me over. "Are you hurt?! Why didn't you tell me?! Who do I talk to about this?!"

"I'm fine, I was tired, and our principal I suppose."

With that, Mom leaves me with my thoughts. Man, now I really regret disturbing her. While my mom scolds our principal over the phone, I calmly walk to kitchen for breakfast. After my meal, I prepare for a visit to the prison to see Dad. Mom is still cheesed, and is getting ready herself for a meeting with Principal Nezu along with many other concerned parents. A little after Mom leaves, I head out as well.

Upon arriving at the jailhouse, I have the usual argument with one of the guards about my age then make my way to the familiar visiting room after I win. Dad soon comes to the window himself and sits down.

"Hey, Spook!" he greets. "How've you been? School going okay?"

"Yeah, about a few days in, and I'm already getting stronger! Look!" I show off my now six flames as Dad whistles.

"Six! Nice! So does that mean you can summon three minions now?"

"Yep!"

"That's cool. So you beat up any bad guys yet?"