Chapter 3: High School Plans

To be completely honest, I don't really feel like best buds with Tojuta since that day. However, I feel like I'm his only friend because of his shy personality. I'm really the only one he hangs out with and sticks behind, while sometimes I just need to be left alone. Don't get me wrong! He's a good kid, but when you're struggling with the hardship of having your loved one misjudged, I prefer to just have my thoughts to myself. I'm invited to his house nearly twice a week or so. Not wanting to disappoint him, I accept, despite my preferences. Over there, it's not all bad. We usually just hang around, but we squeeze in some much needed moral support or target practice. Tojuta's quirk kinda depends on it anyways, and I just like the feeling of training with someone. I guess it just brings back fond memories of my dad. I try to share smiles every now and then, but still, it's not the same.

Even though it's several months before summer comes, both my mom and my teachers insist that I decide where I'll be going for high school. The problem is I really just live in the present, so I'm not all about making big plans like that. Tojuta hasn't really decided either.

One day during school lunch, I try not to make it awkward and ask him what he plans to do with his life. He thinks about this pretty hard. "Mmm... I dunno. I can definitely see my quirk doing something heroic, but I don't think I myself am cut out for that."

"Makes sense." I nod.

"Well.." I can tell he's trying to get in a real reason but then blanks. "I don't know. I'll think about it. What about you? I know you said to me once that you wanted to show that your quirk can be useful. So, maybe construction or something?"

"Not really. I plan to be a hero." I think hard about my dream. "I wanna help people. Not just because it's the right thing to do, but.. I also want people to see that quirks should not be rejected. I'm also hoping that this inspires people to not immediately see the bad in other quirks like mine."

"Huh," Tojuta simply says after soaking in what I had said. "If I'm being honest here, I think this is the first time you've shown your true emotion." I stare at the porcupine, wondering if he's caught onto what I think of our friendship. Instead he just nods. "Anyways, that's neat.... So you gonna take a hero course?"

"Probably. Just don't know what to aim for."

"Well, uh, I would probably view your options. I'm not telling you what to do, but I just think that'll help."

I look down at my food, thinking about what the next best move would be. I quickly look up finally and say, "I gotta go." I slide the remaining food into my mouth, pick up my bag, and quickly walk out. "See ya later, Tojuta!"

"Uh, o-okay!" Tojuta calls. "Bye!" He watches me leave, wondering if everything's okay.

I keep speed-walking until I reach the Principal Koyami's office. I knock twice on his door, before hearing him call from inside, "Come in!" I slowly open the door. Our eyes meet, and I can tell he was not expecting to see me. "Yurei? What're you doing here? Are you in trouble?"

"Um," I stutter, almost as nervous as Tojuta when it comes to being put on the spot. "I- I need guidance."

Principal Koyami stares at me, surprised. "O..kay, what makes you think I can help?"

"It's about where I'm going for high school."

"Oh? Have you decided?"

"No, sir. That's what I need guidance about. I was hoping you could point me in the right direction."

"Hmm..." the principal thinks for a few seconds. "Mr. Seshin, I think I can help you there." Principal Koyami motions for me to sit in the chair in front of his desk, while he stands and walks to his bookshelf. I sit down as he comes back with a thick, black binder and lays it on his desk. He opens it to a tab that reads 'High Schools.' "Now, before I get into this," he looks at me straight in the eyes. "What do you see yourself doing?"