Chapter 21: Showdown in Hosu- Part 2

"We're pro heroes! Is anyone in here?!" First Mate yells into another room. No one responds, but I use my flames to light up the abyss anyway. Just as assumed, the room is empty of any people. "Sheesh! Shipwreck said there were people here! But where is everyone?!" First Mate complains.

"Maybe Suka made a wrong call?" I offer.

"Not likely. In the couple years I've worked here, Suka was always a diligent searcher and never overlooked any detail." She sighs. "Well, if that's the case, let's keep looking! I trust the bird, so we should keep up our progress!"

I give a firm nod and follow her around the building. Something in my camera flame suddenly catches my eye, and I take a closer look.

"First Mate!" I call. "People, one floor up!"

"Super! Lead the way!"

We quickly run through the building, catching glimpses of Shipwreck's fight outside. He doesn't look like he's doing so good, but First Mate reassures that he'll be alright and redirects me back to our task at hand.

We finally see my minion waving for our attention near a bathroom. I shoot it a thumbs-up and have it continue scanning the building. First Mate pushes the door open.

"We're pro heroes! Is anyone in here?!"

"A-are you really heroes?" a shaky voice asks from the back wall.

I light up the room with my flame and throw off my hood and bandana as to show my identity. Sure enough, there's a group of three young adults hunkered in the corner. They look scared, but at this point, who isn't?

First Mate runs to them for comfort and proudly points to herself. "Sure are! My name is First Mate, he's Phantom. We're here to help."

"Oh, thank you. Thank you!" the person who spoke up thanks us and directs his friends to stand with him.

"We have to get outta here though. If you don't know, there's a monster down in the fields fighting our lead. I'll lead you guys outside to a safe place."

All of them respond in understanding and follow us outside the bathroom. As we exit, I stop short and check my minion-cam again. They're both on the roof and are staring at a building lined with large glass windows. There's gotta be a reason.

Suddenly, after staring at it for a few seconds, a figure appears at a window and waves frantically. This doesn't last long as the unidentified body whips around quickly and slides downward out of sight. The scene is definitely scary, if not suspicious.

"First Mate!" I call and the four of them stop and look at me. "There's something going on on the roof! I'm gonna check it out!" Not wasting a second, I bolt off having given my explanation.

"More people?"

"I think so! I'll be right back!"

"Hold on! Come back!"

I ignore her orders and keep running. She must've given up arguing with me because she stops shouting at me, and I hear running footsteps receding toward the exit.

I make it to the top and extinguish my minions to use my flames. I find the correct building and window just across the street and wait for any other signals.

When nothing else happens and I start to grow impatient, I surround myself with my flames for my levitation and push myself off to steadily float up to the suspicious window. As I fly up, I put my hood and bandana back on. I make it with no difficulty and peer inside. I don't see anything but that doesn't hinder my suspicions. I back up and upward a bit and charge toward the window. Before I hit it, I change my flames' roles to phasing and roll through the glass.