Chapter 4: Entrance Orientation

UA's entrance exam is tomorrow. Excited about what my plans are, my mom is overjoyed and supports my goal. After giving me the support I needed, she reminds me that I should probably pay Dad a visit and tell him the news. I strongly agree, and after lunch, I begin to make my way to the prison house.

I have little trouble convincing the guards to let me in despite my youth. I'm directed by one of the guards to the visiting windows. On the way there, the guard has another officer let my dad know he has company. I walk to our usual window and sit down in front of the reinforced glass. After about a minute or two, my dad comes in on the other side of the window and sits down across from me. I can see he has a black ring around his right eye.

"Hey, Spook," he greets. "What's up?"

"Hey," I simply greet back. "Nothing much. I'd phase through the glass to you, but don't wanna trigger the guards."

"Heh. I see what you mean."

"What's that?" I gesture to his black eye.

"Prison fight. One of my new inmates decided he needed a new punching bag."

"Who was it?"

"Some big guy called Blood Moon. He can fire some kinda power beam from moonlight he's gathered. He caught me off guard when he started it, but my spooks took care of him and his big, meaty cuffs. Ha!"

I share his excitement and congratulate him. "Well, that's why you're the best."

My dad then squints his eyes at me. "You've gotta be kiddin' me. How are you so big now?"

"Well hitting a growth spurt was fun the last few times, so thought I'd do it again," I joke back and crack a smile.

My dad chuckles before stating, "Alright, Spook. You usually come cuz either you got a new flame, want fighting tips, or something else incredibly important. Whatcha got?"

"Dad. I'm going to UA."

"UA?" He whistles. "Going for the big leagues, huh?"

"Yes, sir. I'm gonna be a pro hero even with my quirk. Once I do, people will look at our quirks and others and think of what good they can do. No one will be judged for their quirk ever again!"

"Man. Quite the goal there. What about villains?"

I feel like he's testing me here. "Dad, it's not the quirk that makes a villain. It's what they do."

"I raised you right. I'm so proud of me." We slightly chuckle at his self acknowledgment. "But UA, man. You got some work to do."

"I agree. Entry exams are tomorrow, and I'm getting practice in with Tojuta and Mom whenever I can."

"Ah yeah. The porcupine kid. Think you're gonna save more people like you did him?"

"I absolutely know it."

"Well I'm right behind you one hundred percent. Remember, you're not alone. Go beyond!"

"And then some!" I make a joke out of UA's school motto.

"Plus Ultra, Yurei!"

"I know. Just joking." I sigh. "Well, I gotta scoot." I stand up, ready to leave. "Mom loves and misses you."

"And me too. Except, you know, her."

I laugh at his tripped up words before flashing a thumbs up and exiting the room. "Love you!" The guard in the room shows me out the prison, and I make my way home. With Dad's words of encouragement, I become more confident to become a hero.

———————————————————

The day of entry exams finally comes. I stand outside on a pathway up to a large building. Cherry blossoms flank the pathway all the way down, and many more students are walking to the school as well. Already starting to feel nervous, I throw on my jacket hood and shove my hands in my pockets. As I do, I feel my phone buzz and I glance down at the lock screen. Tojuta says he'll be a little late and that I should go ahead without him. I take in a long breath before slowly letting it out. Prepared, I begin my walk.