XIV|"Who is Cayden Royce?"

*not edited*

Melody

I really thought my talk was going to go well but instead, all I got was a reality check.

"So..." I drag out, fiddling with my fingers, I try giving him an innocent smile but all I got in return was that same disappointed look as he shakes his head at me, "listen, technically this time it wasn't my fault,"

"Melody," he warns, "I told you, don't visit me, it's dangerous,"

I sigh, "I know, I know and I was swearing by it but Cayden said I needed to tell you something,"

Romero shakes his head at me again and sighs, "go on and this better be good,"

"Okay, so Cayden told me to tell you that he thinks that there is a scorpion on the inside, like not one you but more like one of them," I nudge my head towards the police officers standing guard around the room.

Romero narrowed his eyes taking the information in as he looked around the room, he turns back towards me with a stern look, "and he thought it'd be smart to send you," Romero clenched his jaw as he looked down, shaking his head.

"I offered?" I say, not really sure because I did offer but I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting myself into.

Romero looks up at me, "Listen, kid, Cayden might be nice but he also has things his hiding and the other guys don't even know the meaning of nice, so you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. I think it's also stupid of Cayden's to send you here and get you involved,"

Cayden wasn't happy with sending me either but the other guys all seemed a little hesitant so, I figure it'd be best to just send me, that way at least I'd get to see Romero and catch a little glimpse of James in his uniform.

Romero doesn't stop, "Do you even know what's going on? Do you know why Cayden was behind bars? Do you have any answers? You get answers first before you do anything, then you decide if you want to be involved, don't act on impulse."

I gaped at him, watching as he settles his breath, to say I was shocked was an understatement, I never thought Romero actually cared. Did I actually break his shell?

I shrug, "it's not that I don't try, because I do, but I also give up and just go with it. You probably don't wanna hear my life story, but it's just I've never had someone draw me a line and tell me when to stop." I wasn't lying about the whole absent parental figures, Aunt Jemma was hardly a present figure in my life, she was to busy dealing with her own crap.

So when no one tells you to stop, you keep going, until you hit a dead-end but still, no one is stopping you, so you climb over the wall or dig to the other side, there's no line drawn, I can go wherever.

Romero sighs, "then let me draw you a line; you saw James and got a little crush, great but you crossed the line when you decided to arrange a visit with a criminal and obviously, after that it's a whole domino effect," I know it was wrong, but I couldn't help myself.

He continues, "You're letting a random dude stay in your house, a guy you know hardly know anything about-"

I cut him off, "I object! I know some things okay, ask me what he likes and I bet I can answer it correctly,"

He ignores me, "his past? What has he done? You know Cayden but do you know who Cayden Royce is?"

I tilt my head at him in confusion, "isn't that just his surname?"

Romero gives me a deadpan look, "let Cayden know I'll handle the matter on this end and you should ask him yourself,"

Romero stands up and turns around, ready to leave, I slowly stand up, taking a deep breath, Romero turns back around,