Gateway Drug | Part Sixty-Four

Warning(s):
Explicit language
Sexual situations
Violence

----------

"Damnit, bp is 183/111." A nurse says after they get me on a gurney and she takes my blood pressure, twice. "Mrs. Sixx is your head or chest hurting, vision blurring?" She asks me and I nod my head, my eyes closed, still struggling to breathe, my skin beginning to get sticky with sweat.

"My head." I tell her.

"Okay, I need you to keep your eyes open for me just for a little bit, so you can tell me if things start looking fuzzy, alright?"

I nod and she smiles reassuringly at me.

"Just stay as calm as possible and we'll get your blood pressure under control." She states, beforing looking at the nurse walking on the other side of the gurney. "I need an IV of Beta-blockers." She tells her, and in what feels like seconds, she's scrubbing at the crook of my elbow with an alcohol pad, before I'm feeling the pinch of a needle sliding into my skin.

"Where's Duff? The guy I came in here with?" I ask, trying to calm myself down, but I don't think it's working.

"He's filling out some paperwork for you while the desk contacts your emergency contact to let them know the situation and then he will be right here with you as soon as we get you stable." She informs me and I feel panic in my chest, as I try to sit up, only for them to gently push me back down. "Vivian, you are in a hypertensive crisis. You need to lay still and avoid getting yourself worked up even more."

"My emergency contact is my husband and he is the last motherfucker I want to know about this!" I argue in between breaths. "Now tell the bitch at the front desk to leave him out of it or I will stroke out just to fucking spite you because I've got nothing to lose at this point!"

I sound pathetic, struggling to breathe, gasping out the words in the best scream I can muster, and she raises her brows at me.

They tried to stop Nikki from being contacted, but he was...well, they left a message to the machine at our house, which he ended up checking from his hotel room later that day.

They get my blood pressure down within a few minutes and keep me under watch for several hours, before my doctor finally decides it's time to tell me what the hell happened, although with how many times I've heard the word "hypertension", I'm assuming it's not good.

"You had a transient ischemic attack, which, when you take the complicated sounding name away, is basically a ministroke." He explains, and my eyes widen. "It's not as major as a stroke, especially since this was caught before it could develop into something worse, but your brain was still not receiving the amount of oxygen needed in your blood because it's pressure was way too high, but good news for you is that your brain isn't showing signs of damage that can affect your mind like a stroke would. That being said, this does increase your risk of having a major stroke down the line. No one in your family has a history of stroke or high blood pressure, which typically suggests, more times than not, it is either something you took--medication, alcohol, drugs, etc. or it's your environment. Is there anything you took, or drank, prior to experiencing your symptoms?"

"I took Nyquil...four doses worth in less than six hours." I tell him and Duff looks at me, confused. "I couldn't sleep." I add.

"N-Nyquil?" Duff asks me, quietly, as if in disbelief. "You had a ministroke...because of an over the counter cold medicine?"

The doctor flips through my chart before pursing his lips.

"Are you still taking Nardil on a daily basis?" He asks me and I nod.