Chapter 9

Minjae POV

No, he's not serious. I don't believe him. Nara wouldn't do that, would she? I called him.

"What do you mean?" I asked forcefully.  "What?" he asked, and I could tell I was getting angry.

"You didn't win the bet!" I said coldly. He just laughed and then sighed.

"I did. I asked Nara to be my girlfriend and she wrote yes." I couldn't believe it. No, did I really miss my chance?

"You'd better not play with Nara! This bet is pointless!" I said aloud and Huijun laughed coldly for a moment.

"I beg you. You've started playing, I'll just keep on playing." he said and I could already see his grin.

"Yoona kissed me!" I growled. "Yes, I know." Huijun said amusedly. Now I was confused. "What?" I asked.

"I had a plan from the beginning. You always got in my way." Huijun hissed. I didn't understand anymore. What did he say?

"A plan?" I asked incredulously. "I was to save Nara that night, not you. I wanted her to go to the amusement park alone, but you were there too." he grwoled.

"The best part was that you almost kissed." he laughed hysterically.

"Good thing the music changed. And I told Yoona to kiss you when Nara turns around." he explained and laughed.

My free hand clenched into a fist. "But yes, I'm just playing with her. Maybe I'll like her as much as you do when I know her better." he said and I took a deep breath.

"I'm going to win Nara over." I said and hung up.

I thought I knew Huijun. I really thought I knew him. I know I knew him.

I didn't expected this. I had to deal with it for a while. So a good sleepless night. I stared at the ceiling and put my cell phone away.

No, I can't leave it like this. I jumped up from my bed.

I called Nara. "Yes?" she asked in a sleepy voice after the third ring.

"Nara, I meant you earlier!" I said a bit too fast and too loud. "What?" she now asked wide awake. "You are the girl I like."

She remained silent. "Minjae, it would be better if we distanced ourselves a little..."

I shook my head. "No, no! Nara, please don't. Don't tell me it's true." I said sad. "Please don't tell me you agreed with Huijun." I whispered.

"Yes, I am sorry." her voice broke.

I could feel the sadness building up inside me. "Minjae, don't hate me." she said with a quiet voice.

"I can't tell you what's going on. I like you very much too, but we can't be together." she whispered and her voice was as high as it had been at the door before.

She cried. I noticed how the tears came to me too, but I took a deep breath and sighed.

"Okay. Then I will wait until we can do it." I said softly and squint my eyes together.

"I'm sorry. See you, Minjae." She hung up. My thoughts are a complete mess.

I sank to the floor and got down on my knees. Why did it hit me so hard? I've known her a fucking week. A week.

I was pulling my hair up when suddenly I heard a noise from the hallway. I looked down the hall and I was amazed.

"Mom?" I asked, confused. She smiled slightly and waved at me briefly.

"Hey Minjae. I'll just be a minute, we're going somewhere today." she said. With that, she disappeared again.

I'm completely finished.

I went back to my room and saw my mobile phone, which I still had in my hand.

I opened my gallery, looked at pictures of Nara and me. One from the theme park, one from the project. She said it was a good idea to take pictures.

A tear ran down my cheek, but I quickly wiped it away and admonished myself. Don't cry Minjae.

I thought of something, I had a good idea. Silently I crept through the hallway to the door leading to the roof of the house.

I climbed up the stairs and was already upstairs. Then I sat down.

The sun was already slowly rising. It illuminated everything and bathed it in a golden tone.

I remembered Nara's sweet, sleeping face back.

I smiled slightly.

Maybe she will be happy with Huijun, too? Even if she didn't sound like that somehow.

I sighed softly and kept watching the sun.

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☁️🍒☁️˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

Nara POV

I couldn't fall asleep again after what Huijun said to me.

And after Minjae's confession.

I sighed and shook my head. I must do what Huijun told me. Otherwise they'll hurt him. And I don't want that.

I got up and put on something else, then crept down the hall since my parents were there once.

Outside, my feet carried me to Minjae's house. I saw a silhouette sitting on the roof. That's probably him.

It made me smile slightly when I saw him there like that.

But before he would see me from above, I turned around again and ran into the park where I sat down on a bench and watched the sunrise as well.

I love the night, but sunrises have always been beautiful.

I watched the sun rise and then sighed briefly again. Why did Huijun do such a thing? Just because I said I like someone else?

Why does Huijun want to be with me after only one week?

I was thinking of Yoona. Maybe it's really a bet? Maybe Minjae was lying? No, he didn't. Minjae doesn't lie. He's always honest. I hope.

No, I'm 100% sure of it!

Is trust a bad thing? It broke me one time...

I looked at my mobile. A new message from Huijun. But I ignored it. I didn't want to reply to him now.

Slowly I got up and went back home, crept through the hallway to my room and dropped onto my bed.

At a normal time I got up again and went downstairs to the living room where my parents were already waiting and smiling at me. Forced to smile, I smiled back.

"We have a great day planned today. Unfortunately we have to leave again tomorrow. So your father has night shift as usual and I have to go back to America for a week." my mother told me.

I just nodded uninterestedly and then looked at them both. "Okay, what do we do?" I then asked.

"We are going with a new colleague of mine and her son to a camp where we are going canoeing today." my father explained to me enthusiastically.

Great. "What is the name of your colleague?" I then asked and my father smiled even wider. "Her name is Mrs. Song."

I nodded slightly, then my eyes got big. "What's her son's name?" I asked. "Minjae."

My mouth opened in surprise.

"Are you okay?" my mother asked anxiously and I nodded slightly. Sure, he's just the boy I fell in love with.

OH GOSH WHY!?

"He's in my class, we get along pretty well. That's how I know him, so it fits." I quickly explained and smiled slightly so they wouldn't suspect anything.

My parents just nodded in delight. "This is gonna be a fun day today." they both said enthusiastically.

Sure, totally a fun day after this discussion!