CHP. 1 • Second Thoughts •

I was staring out of the car window with a blank expression but internally, my mind was racing.

Today officially marked my first day at Collège Françoise Dupont and to say that I was a nervous wreck, was an understatement. Things have been pretty rough since I left my last school in Brussels and I wasn't quite sure if I was ready to start a new chapter in my life.

"We're here sweetie" called my step mom from behind the steering wheel.

I glanced anxiously at the large white building before me. As much as I tried to calm myself beforehand, it was all seemingly going to waste now that I was faced with the real thing.

I gulped. "D-Do I have to go today? I-I mean... can't we wait for tomorrow when everyone has already settled down?"

My step mom M/N sighed and cast me a concerned yet frustrated glance through the rearview mirror. "You know you have to go Y/N. We've been through this already."

My face paled and I swallowed the huge lump in my throat. Begrudgingly, I opened the door and tried with all my might to not look like a deer in the headlights.

I didn't say anything as I shut the door to the car because I knew if I did, my facade would crack. Honestly, why don't I just remain like this for the rest of the day? It was a lot better than speaking to strangers for sure.

That thought reassured me slightly. After all, nobody was going to force me to speak. Hopefully.

I shook my head to clear my mind and determinedly walked towards the entrance of the school. My head was downcast slightly and my eyes were wary, careful not to make uncomfortable eye contact with anyone.

I pushed the large wooden doors open and my head snapped up at the unexpected noise level inside the building.

That was a big mistake. As soon as I saw the amount of people present, my mind instantly blanked. I glanced around furtively, trying to pinpoint the direction of the main office, but all I could see was a mass of bustling, swirling, staring-

"Hi there! You seem lost, would you like any help?" asked a cheerful voice from behind me. My head snapped to the side to gaze at the girl with wide eyes.

She gained a concerned glance upon seeing my expression and it was at that moment that I acknowledged how stupid I must seem to her.

"Are you okay? If you're feeling ill, maybe you should go home?"

I was very tempted to agree with her right then and there, but my mind was instantly met with my father's strict face. I decided school was probably the better option.

"N-No" I mumbled. God, I should seriously get over my social phobia, I don't need people to think that I am mentally impaired. I came here for a fresh start, not to relive my past again.

The navy-haired girl processed my answer and suddenly, a light of recognition shone in her eyes.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, "You must be the new student! Come on, I can show you where the office is."

She grabbed my hand and before I had time to process anything, she dragged me all the way down the hallway. I tried my best not to barge into people and somehow, we made it through the crowd alive.

We arrived at the door of what I presumed to be the office and the girl stopped her fast-paced walking. She turned to me this a bright smile which was almost contagious.

"We're here. I'm Marinette by the way. If you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask me!"

"Thanks Marinette" I smiled nervously, before pushing open the door to the office.

Now to face the principle...