CHP. 20 • The New Us •

The next day I woke up with a small smile on my face. Last night went much better than any of my fantasies combined and for once, I couldn't wait to go to school.

"So... you and Nathaniel, huh?" asked Glidde with a suggestive wriggle of his eyebrows. I grinned but scoffed slightly at the eagle kwami.

"Please, like you didn't know it was going to happen" I teased, causing Glidde's mouth to fall open at my unanticipated moment of sass. Suddenly, a smirk crawled onto his features and a glint of pride shone in his yellow irises.

"Seems like you truly have become a different person Y/N. I hardly recognise you from the shy, antisocial girl I used to know."

I gave a smug look in response and quickly packed for school. Once I had eaten breakfast and prepared myself to go, I quickly opened the front door to step outside. However, an unexpected arm wrapped around my shoulders causing me to jump. I heard a small laugh from beside me and looked up to meet Nathaniel's amused gaze.

"Hey Y/N" he spoke, taking my hand in his and beginning to walk forward. My face flushed a light pink and I hid a small grin that arose on my face. It seemed that even after confessing our love for each other, I was still the same shy, insecure girl on the inside.

'Glad to know some things never change' I thought with a slight roll of my eyes. Nathaniel and I walked to school hand-in-hand. Once we got there, many people stared and giggled at our intertwined hands but as soon as I looked into Nathaniel's reassuring gaze, I realised that I didn't care.

We walked to class in the same fashion causing some people to become shocked and others, like Marinette, to cheer.

However, like always, there were those who didn't approve of our newfound confidence.

"Oh my! They're together now!" exclaimed Chloe, standing up from her seat, "Do you really like creepy stalkers that much Y/N? Or are you so desperate for attention that you've decided to go out with this freak?"

My fists clenched and I was about to stride right up to her when suddenly-

"Don't you get tired of calling people freaks Chloe? I mean... what exactly did I do to deserve that title?" asked Nathaniel calmly while crossing his arms. Chloe looked at him with outrage and stamped her foot on the ground.

"How dare the likes of you question me!" she screeched, not noticing that Miss Bustier had already walked in, "Do you not realise who you're talking to? My daddy can banish you and your little freak girlfriend out of Paris and-"

"Chloe! What are you saying?" asked a horrified Miss Bustier, "How could you say something like that to someone?"

Chloe struggled to find her words and seemed to get really frustrated on the matter. Eventually, the pressure got to her and she yelled:

"I can say whatever I want, whenever I want and not even you can tell me what to do!"

"Chloe, that's enough!" said Miss Bustier, raising her voice slightly, "Go to the principals office, immediately!"

Chloe was about to retort but the stern look on Miss Bustier's face was enough to shut her up. Very begrudgingly, Chloe got out of her seat and walked out of the room.

Nathaniel grasped my clenched hand in his and led me all the way to the back row. "Relax" he spoke, "just don't mind her."

I turned to look him in the eyes and smiled slightly after seeing the familiar spark of compassion in them. I gently placed my head on his shoulder and wrapped one arm around him in a side hug.

"My saviour" I joked, watching as Nathaniel's face flushed from the statement. He glanced down at me with a flustered face causing me to grin widely.

Sometimes, life can shoot all sorts of obstacles at you, whether it be fake friends or someone making fun of your passion. Basically, everywhere you go people will try to give you a hard time.

But at the end of the day I figured; not all is lost with a little bit of love.