CHP. 2 • New Girl •

The corridors were quiet as I walked alongside the principal to my new class. My hands were sweaty from anticipation and my nerves were gradually skyrocketing as I thought of the moment that awaits me.

We arrived at a wooden door.

"Your classes will be here from now on. Science and other subjects that require special facilities will be held somewhere different, but this is where you will generally spend your day" explained the principal. I nodded deftly, trying not to let him know how nervous I was truly feeling.

He gave me a small nod and pushed open the door. As soon as we were inside I immediately cast my eyes to the ground to avoid any eye contact.

"Miss Bustier, if I could make a quick announcement" asked the principal, referring to my form as he did so. The teacher stopped what she was doing and I could see her nod subtly from my peripheral vision.

"Class" announced the principal, "this year you are getting a new student. Her name is Y/N L/N and she came here all the way from Belgium. Please try make her feel welcome."

"Thank you Mr. Domacles" spoke my new teacher, flashing me a friendly smile. She quickly shooed him out of the classroom and then turned to me again.

"Okay Y/N, you're a little late but there is a spare seat at the back beside Nathaniel. Nath, please raise your hand so that Y/N can see you."

I watched as a timid-looking boy raised his hand from down the back of the classroom and I slowly walked up to him, all the while keeping my eyes to myself.

I sat down carefully and began to take out my school essentials. I could feel just about everyone's eyes on me, but I let out a breath of relief when the teacher called for attention again.

I sat quietly and finally took the time to glance around the classroom. It was fairly large and seemed like a good enough work environment.

I briefly cast my gaze to my side to silently assess the person I was assigned to sit with. The boy 'Nath', as Miss Bustier had called him, was busy scribbling something in a notebook and I found myself being thankful that he decided to ignore my presence. His hair was a bright orange and I caught myself staring much longer than I anticipated.

The voice of Miss Bustier snapped my attention back to front of the classroom and I quickly began writing down notes from today's French lesson.

Turns out, I did arrive pretty late because soon, it was lunchtime.

People started getting up from out of their seats and I groaned in my seat, completely forgetting that I was in public for a second. I heard a gentle laugh from beside me and my eyes instantly widened in realisation.

I anxiously looked at Nathaniel only to see amusement in his sparkly turquoise eyes. I fidgeted nervously with my fingers as I waited for the snarky remark to come. I was, however, surprised by his response.

"Don't worry, the people here a fairly nice. Just stay clear of that girl over there" he spoke, pointing to a pretty blond girl in a yellow cardigan, "she's the only one who'll give you a hard time."

I nodded and mumbled a small thank you, to which gave me a small smile. I watched as he walked away with his hands in his pockets and his notebook tucked under his arm.

"Y/N!" called a familiar voice from the top of the class. I turned my head to see Marinette a few paces from me. "Do you want to sit with us for lunch?"

I nodded my head in gratitude. Marinette seemed nice. I just hoped she doesn't turn out to be like the girls at my old school.