CHP. 14 • An Ideal Gift •

I woke up extra early today which was quite unlike me. I glanced around my room confused as to why my alarm was set to six o'clock in the morning but once realisation dawned on me, I gasped.

'That's right! It's Nath's birthday today!' I thought, beginning to scramble out of bed. I quickly took out the rectangular package from under my bed and then I rummaged around for an acceptable bag to place it in.

Once I had found what I was looking for, I took out the handmade card that I painted for him yesterday and opened it up carefully. I made the card with watercolours and it depicted a beautiful night time scene of Paris City. I took out my calligraphy set to begin writing in it.

'Dear Nath' I wrote, "Happy birthday! Have as much fun as you can today because you totally deserve it! I hope you liked the presents, Y/N."

I placed a full stop at the end and smiled. This was absolutely perfect.

"What's all the ruckus?" asked Glidde, opening one eye from his position on the little bed I made for him. I smiled slightly at his unwillingness to get up in the morning.

"I'm just finishing Nath's card for his birthday, that's all" I replied as I waited for the black ink to dry. Glidde scoffed lightly and stretched.

"You must seriously love this boy" he mumbled "you've literally stayed up all night painting this."

I flushed a bright red. "H-Hey, I don't-"

I was cut off by Glidde shooting me a 'really' look. I glanced to the side sheepishly but smiled lightly.

"Okay, I suppose I do like him that way..." I trailed off thoughtfully "but I can hardly help it! I mean, he always stands up for me and we share a lot of the same interests" I tried to reason.

Glidde merely gave a smug expression before turning over onto his other side to sleep. I rolled my eyes at the kwami but proceeded to fold the card and place it in an envelope.

Once I was done preparing Nath' gift I walked downstairs to fix myself some breakfast. I ate, got ready for school and soon I was walking down the street. Eventually, I reached the massive white building. I walked all the way to science class, which was held in the lab that morning, and sat at the very back.

Nathaniel wasn't there yet, so I decided to just sit around a bit. I watched many of the students filing in and chatting with their friends, making me slightly excited for giving Nath his gift.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, I spotted a familiar bunch of red hair walking in through the doorway. I waved enthusiastically but thankfully, hardly anyone took notice. Nathaniel smiled and made his way towards me.

"You see oddly excited" he noted, taking a seat next to me on the lab bench. I shot him an incredulous look.

"Are you kidding me? It's your birthday!" I exclaimed, causing him to shush me and glance around warily. Nathaniel chuckled while scanning the horizon anxiously.

"Let's not announce it to the world just yet, okay?" he spoke with worried eyes. I giggled at his expression but nodded.

"Sure thing Nath" I replied, "but first, let me present you with this!" I took out the somewhat large bag that held Nathaniel's present. Nath blushed but also smiled in delight at the prospect of me giving him a present.

"Oh, Y/N, y-you really shouldn't have" he commented, causing me to give him a deadpan expression. He continued grinning as he opened the box inside. Nathaniel gasped and took out a small painted 'Super Nathan' figure.

"D-Do you like it?" I asked him sheepishly. I wasn't sure it he would appreciate it, since essentially this was a very personal character for him.

Nathaniel turned to me and I almost swore that I saw his eyes tear up. Suddenly, he hugged me tightly and buried his head in the crook of my neck.

"This is the best birthday present I've ever received" he muttered, causing a bright smile to erupt on my features. I wove my arms around him and held him close to me.The familiar warm feeling sprouted from within me and my heartbeat sped up slightly.

'I could stay like this forever and ever.'