CHP. 13 • She's Perfect •

For the past few hours, Nathaniel and I were up in my room drawing and experimenting with different paints. I had recently bought a quill and ink set, which I let Nathaniel use for his drawings. They were turning out quite good so far. The ink made the lines more prominent on his illustrations and somehow managed to make them more realistic.

"And Super Nathan saves the day!" I announced in a deeper voice, pretending that I was hosting a TV show. Nathaniel stared at me incredulously but then laughed and shook his head.

"Woah Y/N, you are a seriously different person when you're at home" he chuckled while looking at me in amusement. I tutted and grabbed his drawing of me from under his hand. I examined it and nodded in satisfaction.

"Acceptable" I said in a mock posh tone, while patting his shoulder. Nathaniel snorted and swatted my hand away.

"A bit more than acceptable if you please" he spoke sarcastically with a small huff.

Ever since that moment when I first revealed my art, I feel like I have truly opened up to him. My painting was something that I was very sensitive about, so when Nathaniel complimented it and showed that he would stand up for me, I subconsciously decided that there was nothing to fear.

I placed the drawing of me back on the table and momentarily posed like he drew me in the picture. I pretended to flex my muscles and laughed.

"What do you think Nath? Would I make a good superhero?" I asked, while pretending to punch an enemy. Nathaniel gave me a thoughtful expression and shrugged.

"I don't know. You seem pretty innocent to me" he commented nonchalantly. I gasped and gently hit him on the arm.

"Hey! I'm no more innocent than you are!" I exclaimed with incredulous eyes. Nathaniel kept a blank face but eventually burst out laughing at my expression of disdain.

"S-Sorry" he laughed causing me to glare at him jockingly. Somehow that made him laugh even harder and soon I joined in too.

"Okay, okay. I suppose I'm not that threatening. But watch this!" I yelled, grabbing a rolled up piece of paper and attempting to swipe at the back of his head.

Surprisingly, Nathaniel caught my arm and managed to hold it there. He was a lot stronger than I expected. Our giggles died down as we stared each other in the eyes. He looked at me with such passion and intent that the warm feeling in my stomach resurfaced again. His eyes travelled to my slightly parted lips for a moment but then-

I heard the front door open causing Nathaniel and I to pull away blushing. I felt a bout of disappointment as the warm feeling disappeared, but nevertheless, I beckoned Nathaniel to follow me downstairs. He seemed a bit reluctant but perhaps he was just nervous. I know I would be if I was meeting someone's parents for the first time.

I led him from my room and down to the kitchen. My step mom, M/N, was there and she seemed to be unpacking some groceries, so I went up to her with Nathaniel by my side.

"Hey M/N! This is my friend Nathaniel. He's in my class" I explained. My step mom turned to me and smiled at both of us.

"Oh hi! It's nice to meet you Nathaniel. I'm M/N, Y/N's step mom" she introduced. Nathaniel nodded shyly and shook her outstretched hand.

"Nice to meet you too" he muttered, with a small smile on his face. M/N exchanged a look between us and grinned.

"Well don't let me hold you from your activities. Go have fun" she said. Nathaniel and I shared a look and stared walking back upstairs.

"She's nice" commented Nathaniel as he kept pace with me all the way to my room. I glanced at him and smiled.

"Yeah, she's a good person. I like her very much."

Unbeknownst to me, Nathaniel continued to look at my form, which was slightly ahead of his. He felt a bubbly feeling rise in his stomach as he stared at me with adoration written on his features.

'She's... she's perfect.'