CHP. 10 • Proposition •

After class was over it was time for lunch. As per usual, I naturally dreaded this period. Even with my newly found confidence, I was still overly awkward when it came to social interaction.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked up to meet Nathaniel's eyes. He had already gathered his belongings, his sketchbook tucked tightly under his arm.

"Do you want to eat with me today?" he asked, appearing a bit more confident than I'm sure he felt. Nevertheless, I smiled at him in gratitude and nodded my head.

I finished putting my stuff into my bag and got up onto my feet.

"So, where do you usually eat?" I asked, beginning to walk beside him. We made it all the way down the steps from the back row and then entered the hallway.

"You'll just have to wait and see" he replied, flashing me a mysterious look. I stared at him in curiosity but decided to wait until he showed me what he meant rather than question him further.

We continued to make our way through the hallways, when suddenly we entered a massively crowded corridor. I became visibly uncomfortable and my face went a few shades paler. Nathaniel seemed to catch onto my discomfort and tightly grasped my hand in his to pull me along. I was far too busy panicking to fully comprehend what was happening, but I was internally grateful that I was being lead by the hand, because then, I could keep my eyes firmly planted on the floor without bumping into anyone.

We made it to the end of the corridor and Nathaniel lead us outside. He turned to me with a concerned expression, probably noticing how pale I was.

"Are you okay?" he asked with genuine worry.

For the first time since entering the corridor I looked up and met his eyes. I was taken aback by the amount of concern they held and all I could do at that moment was nod my head feebly.

Strangely enough, his gaze had a calming effect on me. Perhaps it was because he understood me?

We were staring at each other for a while when suddenly, I realised that he was still holding my hand. I looked down and blushed lightly. Nathaniel seemed to become aware of this too and both of us pulled our hands away at the same time.

"Uhm sorry" he mumbled sheepishly, stepping away in embarrassment.

I merely smiled. "It's fine, at least we got out of the crowd alive" I joked. Nathaniel chuckled quietly but seemed to agree with me.

Nathaniel beckoned me to follow him and soon we arrived at an outdoor eating area. There weren't many students around and it was amazingly peaceful.

"Wow, I should have definitely come here on my first day" I spoke with awe in my voice. Nathaniel smiled slightly at my appreciation and sat down on the bench. I followed his actions by taking a seat opposite to him.

After a moment of comfortable silence I decided to speak up. "Hey, I was wondering... if it's okay, can I see your drawings?"

Nathaniel glanced up from his food and nodded his head. "Sure" he spoke with slight hesitation, "but most of them are comics of superheroes."

Trying to conceal my excitement, I took the green sketchbook from its place on the table and flipped to the first page.

"Wow..." I spoke flipping from page to page, "These are amazing Nath! They are so accurate and lifelike!" I exclaimed in wonder.

Nathaniel grinned proudly, which is a first because I was so used to seeing him being humble and shy.

"Thanks. They actually take a while to perfect" he admitted. After giving it some thought he also added on a side note; "If you want, I can teach you" he suggested, returning back to his shy self.

I looked into his sparkling turquoise eyes and without hesitation replied:

"That would be brilliant."