CHP. 7 • Call me 'Nath' •

It was the end of the school day and I walked out of the building rather quickly. I was rather tired after today's lesson but I also felt satisfied with myself from having studied hard.

I listened to the birds as they chirped in the trees and I almost smiled at the beautiful sunny atmosphere outside. The sun somehow had a positive effect on me. Everytime it was warm or bright, I would feel happy and free internally.

"Pst, Y/N" came a small voice from my school bag, "I need to tell you something when we get home."

"Okay" I whispered, glancing around to make sure nobody saw me. When I was sure, I continued walking down the steps leading down from my school.

"Y/N!" Called a familiar calm voice from somewhere behind me. I turned and smiled as Nathaniel made his way towards me.

"Uhm, do... Do you want to walk home together?" he asked nervously, looking away briefly as though bracing for impact.

I considered it and nodded. Nathaniel seemed like the type of person I would be friends with.

"Yeah sure, I live in the fifteenth district near the River Seine, are you heading that way too?" I asked.

Nathaniel seemed relieved and nodded. "Yeah I live there too, but not near the Seine" he explained, begging to walk beside me.

We walked in silence for a bit, enjoying the city scenery and the weak breeze blowing at our hair.

"Have you been in this school since the beginning?" I asked, curious about his background.

Nathaniel turned his gaze to me. "Yeah, I was" he replied, "how was your school in Belgium?"

I cast my eyes downwards and thought about how to answer but surprisingly, Nathaniel caught on to my discomfort.

"I-It's okay, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to" he assured me.

My eyes widened at his response, but after a few moments I smiled.

"Thanks Nathaniel" I mumbled.

"Nath" he said. I turned to him in confusion and he blushed sheepishly. "I-I meant you can call me Nath. People usually do."

I gave him a thoughtful glance and nodded.

"Okay... Nath" I teased lightheartedly.

Nathaniel gave a noise of amusement and I could see him smiling slightly from my place next to him.

We walked without speaking for the rest of the journey. For some reason, I felt oddly comfortable in his presence. Usually it would take me a while to get used to people, but with him it was somehow different.

We finally arrived at my house and I turned to face him once more.

"Bye Nath, I'll talk to you at school?" I asked, unsure of myself.

Nath grinned and waved me goodbye. "Definitely" he replied with a small smile.

I gently opened the door and let myself inside. Nath began to walk away and I shut the door behind me.

'What an eventful day... again' I thought to myself with a chuckle.