95

Royally Scandalous

#95

●●●

"Nanang," Izo immediately kissed his grandmother's cheek the moment he went inside her room. Nakahigang nakaupo lang kasi ito sa habang naghihintay sa kanya. He just came from another engagement that needed his appearance as a king.

"Sino ka?" His grandmoms suddenly said and Izo sighed, scratching the back of his neck.

"Nanang stop joking," He just mumbled.

"No, seriously, apo ba talaga kita? You looked older than your Baba. You're almost 36 but you look like 50. Your hair is longer at mas mahaba pa yata ang beard mo kesa sa buhok mo. You looked like a hermit. Mukha ka ng ermitanyo, Izo."

Izo scratched his nose awkwardly, "Nanang, I take bath regularly..."

Nanang raised her eyebrow, "Not obvious. Iyong mga magulang mo enjoy na enjoy na, para mga binata't dalaga. You, you looked the opposite. Have you been punishing yourself by working so hard for this sovereign?"

Izo sighed and sat beside his grandmother, "I don't have a choice. You know that," He smiled tightly.

"You do," Nanang replied liķe she knows all the solutions, "You're just afraid and pressured. Apo, sometimes, it's nice to be normal... and free."

Hindi naman siya nagsalita matapos ang sinabi nito.

"How's your wife?" She suddenly asked. Izo was a little surprised then looked down, avoiding his Nanang's gaze.

"You know that we're already divorced... and she's okay. She's a finally doctor now. She's going to be a neurosurgeon."

"You know, the moment I met her, I really have a feeling she'll change our traditional Moroccan royalty... Like something's going to change in our monarchy and it will be because of her."

Izo just smiled, knowing Skylar Reese is now a doctor and she's proud of her, and realizing he's never going to meet any woman who's... unique, smart and independent as his wife.

Bigla namang hinawakan ni Nanang ang kamay niya at pinisil iyon, "How about you, apo? How are you?"

He smiled again, "I'm okay, Nanang. I'm going to be okay..."

"No, you won't. If you still love her, you won't going to be okay."

He took a deep breath, "She's happy. She finally chased her dream. That's the most important thing to me."

"That's not what I meant," Nanang suddenly grinned at him and it was a sly grin as if she was conniving something, "I'm not getting any younger, Izo. I want to attend a real wedding of one of my apos. Arya is still young, ikaw, you're old. Magpakasal ka na."

"I can't marry, Nanang," He answered, "It's either Sky or no one at all."

"Hay, and what will you do?"

"I'll just work," He chuckled, "That's where I'm good at."

"And are you happy?"

He didn't expect her question.

He felt silent.

"Apo, although it didn't happen in our generations, your mom and I, well, it was fine. We all sacrifice and love in different ways. And we're still happy. But both of you, we're in modern times now. May magagawa pa kayong dalawa."

Izo just stared at her grandmother. He knew what she meant.

"It takes a lot of meetings, arguments, deliberations in the parliament, Nanang--"

"Hay naku, mamamatay ata ako ng maaga dahil sayo eh," His grandmother playfully rolled her eyes, "I'm still the Queen Mother, I still have influence. I'm friends with the mother of the prime minister. Ako ng bahala sa kanya."

"If you cannot abdicate, then make a royal decree," She suggested, "She can be a Queen and at the same time, doctor."

●●●

What do you think of Sky and Izo's characters in this story?

Comment!