97

Royally Scandalous

#97

●●●

One of the board of directors of the Stanford Medical School announced Skylar's name to be on-stage as a representative to be a commencement speaker in behalf of the graduating medical students. Sky forced a smile as she stood up. Her heart was pounding as she looked at her parents on the other side. Her father, Anjo, nodding at her and smiling at her proudly. Her mother also mouthed her an 'I love you'. Sky smiled at her parents and took a deep breath before going up to the stage.

Last week, the dean asked her to be the speaker in behalf of the medical students during the commencement exercises. She was thrilled and at the same nervous. She'd never expect she would be assigned to give the 'validectory address' - but then the dean  told her that she was the most hardworking medical student and that she deserves such recognition.

Nang nasa podium na siya, huminga muna siya ng malalim. All the graduating students' eyes were on her now, in anticipation. She looked at her parents again, being supportive in all her life.

Then she started her speech, greeting all of the board of directors and some important guests for the graduation.

"When I was a kid, I just really wanted to become an actress or maybe a broadway actress, those ones in theatre play... As everyone says, it's only where I'm good at and that I don't really do good in academics. Well, that was what I assumed for myself since I was young even until college. But then in a very unconventional way, I was suddenly eager to go to med school because some guy I dated told me I'm a bimbo and that I was too dumb even to get into med. So what did I do? I worked hard. I studied and didn't waste anytime. I got a score in MCAT and even got into Stanford, one of the best medical schools in the US. But then, even if I already gave my best, even if I always try to give all my efforts, even if I always work hard... Some just... they don't still believe in me. They would still say that I won't pass, that I'm still not good enough. And honestly, I cried, I cried a lot of times because of it. 'Cause I know I've been tiring myself relentlessly just to have everyone's approval..."

She then took a deep breath. She suddenly remembered Izrael. The only man, despite her flaws and insecurities, was the only one who believed in her.

That she was smart.

That she was good enough.

And that she's one of the strongest woman he'd ever met.

He even told her countless times that she was an empowered woman and he's up for women empowerment.

She smiled.

"My message is just simple," She continued, "I know all of us has been enduring and suffering in different kinds of ways just to pass medicine and to become what we are now... and even though it is like that, it's okay - as there is always someone out there who believes in you and knows you're worth it. That you're worth in every thing you are fighting for. That despite these adversities, your families, your friends, they all believe in you and that you can do it. Your hard work and effort will be paid off in the end and you'll never regret, you just have to believe in yourself too. Even if everything else fails, have faith in yourself because you worked hard for it and no one is deserving other than yourself..."

She took a another deep breath, "I have... someone..." She giggled and everyone was now smiling too, "Well, for everyone's information, I was once married to a very wonderful man. He's... definitely my dream guy. He's kind, calm... he's hot too," Everyone then laughed at what she just said, "And he's been my number one supporter ever since. He told me... even though sometimes I feel insecure and that I'm too stupid for med, he said to me that I was good enough that everyone may not seem to be like it, I was already good enough for him... I was even the best woman that he'd ever gotten. He loves me so much that even if it would mean letting go of me would be the only way so I can chase my dream, he did it wholeheartedly... and I love him. Even though we're no longer together, I'll still love him. My love for him will never be gone, he's always be in my heart, in every second of my life..."