chapter one

THE SUMMER

IN      FRANCE

˚ ˚ ࿐ྂ* ˚ ˚

maddie sat infront of the mirror as her mother french braided her brunette hair. "mom, i have to leave soon" maddie looked at her mother in the mirror impatiently. "madeline" her mother said with a stern look. maddie let out a defeated sigh and sat patiently until her mother stepped back and smiled.

maddie smiles to her mother and gave her a kiss on the cheek, "au revoir je serai de retour à minuit". goodbye, i'll be back by midnight. her mother nodded and returned the kiss on the cheek to her daughter. maddie grabbed her phone and waited for her friend, camille, outside.

her friends had invited her to the lake where all the teens went to pass by the time. "bonjourrrrr" camille said opening the car door for rosie. maddie smiled, gave her friend a hug and waved to her other friends in the back of the car.

"bon, tout le monde est là? parfait, que la fête commence!" alright, we're all here? great, let's get this party started, camille said getting into the driver seat driving to the lake.

maddie looked out the window as all her friends talked. as they got to the gravel road, maddie saw all the teens dancing and swimming.

"rosie, venez ici" a friend, louis, called her over after she had stepped out of the car. "tu parles anglais vrai?" louis asked if she spoke english. maddie nodded, not many of her friends spoke english very well.

louis smiled and turned around and grabbed a boy by the shoulder. "maddie this is timothée" louis said with a heavy french accent. the boy stood taller than louis and maddie, with brown curls, sparkling green eyes and a blue stripped shirt, "bonjour" he said with a smile.

maddie was taken back by his features and was at a lost for words until louis spoke. "this is madeline " louis said breaking rosie out of her trance. "maddie, call me maddie" she smiled and shook the boys hand. timothée gave her a smile, "nice to meet you too, maddie".

a few girls had called timothée's name from behind, timothée gave louis and maddie a small smile and went to the girls.

"tu l'aimes?" you like him?, louis asked. maddie stuttered, "i-il est sympa". he's nice.

louis chuckled and wrapped an arm around maddie's shoulder, looking out to the lake, "je ne t'ai jamais vu agir comme ça" i've never seen you act like that.

maddie didn't respond, she simply looked around for timothée and saw him in a chair with a group of girls around him.

"camille? camille?!" maddie looked around for her friend who had bought her to the lake. maddie sighed, not finding her anywhere. maddie looked at the time on her phone 11:58.

she wasn't going to be home by time so she sent her mother a text,

TODAY 11:59

maddie💖
i cant find camille

i'm going to walk home
and i'll be home by 12:20

mama
it's fine 💓

be safe madeline

maddie looked back up at the crowd of teens still dancing and sighed turning around, headed for the gravel road. maddie kicked rocks and shuffled her feet on the gravel as she walked home.

as she walked, she saw timothée a few feet ahead of her with his head down. she jogged up to him, "hello stranger". timothée jumped and held his heart, "god, you almost gave me a heart attack!".

maddie chuckled and slowly walked at the same pace as timothée. "didn't like the party?" timothée asked as he caught his breath. "i did, it's just... it's gets boring sometimes" maddie looked down at the floor.

timothée nodded, "yeah, i get what you mean. it's fun but.. i thought we were gonna swim". maddie chuckled, all night long most of the teens danced up against each other, disregarding the beautiful lake.

"you come on the weekend here to party, but if you want to swim you have to come alone in the mornings" maddie informed timothée.

"do you come alone in the mornings?" timothée asked looking over at rosie. maddie nodded her head, "it's more peaceful... calm".

˚ ˚ ࿐ྂ* ˚ ˚

timothée and maddie got to know each other as timothée walked maddie home. as they reached her home, timothée said, "well, maybe i'll see you tomorrow morning".

maddie began to take out her keys to unlock the gate, "hm?". "to swim.. now that i know it's better to go in the mornings alone" timothée said. maddie smiled, "yeah, maybe". he kissed her cheek, "au revoir, madeline".

THE SUMMER

IN     FRANCE

<3