chapter ten

"so are you coming out tonight?" sarah said over the phone. "where to?" maddie asked closing her textbooks and placing them back in her backpack. "ethan's" sarah responded.

ethan was friends with anybody and everybody. he also threw the best parties when his parents were away. "what time?" maddie said, already looking for an outfit.

"an hour" sarah said. "pick me up, shorty" maddie joked and hung up the phone. she looked at the dress she had against her body in the mirror.

after she had convinced her mom she wouldn't drink, smoke, or get with anyone, maddie rushed out her apartment into maya's car. "hello ladies!" maddie said sitting in the backseat. "hi maddie" sarah and maya said in the driver and passengers seat. the girls listened to music as maya drove them to ethan's home.

"m'lady" maya held her hand out for maddie as they parked outside of ethan's house. maddie stepped out and curtsied, "thank you madam". the girls walked up to the house and already saw flashing red and green lights from inside.

parties like these wasn't maddie or maya's scene but they went for sarah. "let's get this party started" sarah said holding a shot of vodka as she got closer to the dance floor.

maddie and maya occasionally danced with sarah but mostly stayed to the side.

"and then he was like, but you can't do that, and i was like, yes i can" maya told maddie a story.

then they heard a group of people 'woop'ing and tried to get a look at what they were shouting about. maddie stood on a chair and saw what she was dreading to see. timothée with the same girl. carla. "what is it?" maya asked from below.

maddie grabbed maya's hand to regain balance on the floor. "oh.. just some guy and.. and a girl" maddie said leaning back against the wall. maya nodded and continued with her story.

all through the night timothée and maddie's eyes would meet but immediately carla would turn timothée's head to kiss her.

"i'm going to find a bathroom" maddie told maya, as she walked away. maya nodded and took a sip of her drink. maddie went upstairs and looked around the second floor for a bathroom, trying to make sure she doesn't walk in on anyone... doing it.

she eventually found a bathroom and did her business. as she washed her hands, she heard bodies knocking against the door. "jeez" maddie dried her hands and opened the door. there stood carla and timothée making out against the doorframe.

timothée was the first to notice. "oh" he pulled away and wiped his face. "oh sorry, babe" carla said and moved aside with a smile. "it's fine" maddie pushed past the two, heart racing.

as she walked away she heard a faint "maddie" but she ignored. as she got back to the first floor she looked around for maya but couldn't find her. "god, not another camille" she said to herself as she looked.

then she saw maya's blonde hair sitting outside by the pool. "there you are!" maddie said walking up to maya. maya turned around and gave her a smile.

"some girl threw up on my shoes" maya stated. maddie gaged as she removed her heels and dipped her feet in the water. "gross.... if it makes you feel any better, som... some couple was trying to bang while i was in the bathroom" maddie said.

maya giggled, "who?". maddie opened her mouth but couldn't get the words out. instead tears began to form again in her eyes. "hey, you okay?" maya noticed and put her arm around maddie's shoulder.

maddie sighed and looked up at the stars and nodded. "yeah.. yeah". maya leaned back on the concrete and star gazed, "i'm always here for you, mads". maddie leaned back as well and mumbled a "thank you".

the two continued there until sarah stumbled out onto the patio. "homeeeeeeeee" she groaned falling into a chair. maya's head shot up and she put her shoes back on.

maddie did the same and went to assist sarah. "here, come here" maddie said as she wrapped sarah's arms around her and maya's shoulders. the two carried sarah as best as they could to maya's car.

as maddie was about to get in the passengers seat, she saw timothée sprinting to her. she sighed and opened the car door, "i'll be right back" she told maya. she walked towards timothée, "what?".

timothée got closer to maddie and looked like he was about to say something. instead he wrapped his arms around maddie. maddie was taken back but wrapped her arms around his torso.

they stayed that way for a while, feeling like they were back in france. timothée pulled away and looked down into maddie eyes.

"pardon" he apologised in french. "for what?" maddie looked up. "everything. just everything" timothée put his hand on the side of her face.

maddie looked up at him just like she had back in france. the moonlight shining on his face. his green eyes sparkling, no matter how dark it was.

"i forgive you" maddie pulled away. "see you tomorrow" she gave him a sympathetic smile and walked back to the car.

"timothée" maya simply said as maddie sat in the car.
"timothée" maddie repeated and sighed.