chapter six

"it's timothée, you know what to do" timothée's voicemail said out to maddie as she sat in her apartment in new york. "hey timmy, i was just calling to ask when you'd land. um... yeah just call me when you land or get home or whatever... bye" maddie hung up.

she let out a sigh she didn't know she was holding in. new york is different than france of course but maddie didn't think what her and timothée had would change.

but lately whenever they talk on the phone it seems like timothée is always busy at a party or at the lake. maddie looked out her window to the city and watched the sunset.

"babe, we need to go school shopping" her mom inturnfupetd her thoughts. "mom, it's 10 pm" maddie said looking at her phone.

"school starts in three days madeline, let's go" her mother said leaving the room. maddie put on shoes and a sweatshirt and they went to target.

"i'll just use the bag i used last year" maddie said looking around. "madeline, this is a new year. you're a junior now, i'm getting you a new bag" maddie's mom said back to her.

"let me get a picture of you" maddie's mom said as maddie was trying to leave for school. "mom" maddie groaned. "don't make that face, madeleine" her mom pulled out the camera and snapped a photo.

"be safe, i love you" maddie's mom gave her a kiss on the cheek. "yeah, yeah, au revoir" maddie said leaving the apartment. "french really stuck with you, huh" maddie heard as she closed the door.

maddie left the apartment building and got on the subway to meet her friends at a cafe near school. "girls!" maddie squealed as she saw her friend group waiting for her by the subway station. "maddie!!" they all cheered.

"how was summer?" sarah asked maddie as they walked towards school. "a dream" maddie smiled. "and boys?" sarah wiggled her eyebrows.

maddie laughed and shook her head no, not wanting her friends to know about timothée since they hadn't talked in a while, "nope, just me myself and i".

the girls hugged as they all took their separate ways to home room. while walking to home room maddie saw a friend waiting outside the door, "hey tiffany". "maddie! so nice to see you. i was waiting for you, didn't want to go in there alone. our teacher is the french teacher and i know nothing about french but i know you know french i know we're friends and-" tiffany rambles.

maddie nods her head not listening to anything tiffany was saying and walked into the classroom. most of the kids had their backs faced to them.

"bonjour ladies" a lady with glasses said. the girls smiled making their way to two random desks. near the desks were a group of boys sitting on the desks, chatting. "hotties" tiffany whispered. maddie chuckled looking at the boys.

"everybody, take a seat" ms. bisset announced. many kids moved into seats near them. "i'm ms. bisset and i will be your home room teacher. now, i need to take attendance" ms. bisset runs around to her desk for the list of names.

"carl amrol ?" "here" "tiffany ansil?" "here" the list went on and on. until a familiar name was said. "timothée chalamet"
"here" maddie's face got red as she heard the voice she fell for over the summer.

after a few names had been called, maddie looked over to where the voice came from and noticed timothée was sat with the boys who were sitting near their desks.

he looked different than he had in the summer. he wore a black sweatshirt with jeans and white shoes. his curls were tighter but his eyes... his eyes always stay the same.

"maddie valente" the teacher called out. "h-here" maddie said looking away from timothée. "you okay?" the teacher mouthed to maddie. maddie nodded to the teacher with a smile. after she had called attendance, maddie looked back at timothée.

this time he had been looking at her. neither had smiled. only stared at each other with unknown expressions.