chapter four

after the night at louis's party timothée hadn't contacted maddie in over a week. constantly maddie would check her phone for a text from him or look out her window for him arriving at her gate. but nothing.

she had remembered that night just as vividly as timothée did. she remembered saying "i love you", she remembered trying to kiss him, she remembered him pulling away. once the hangover went away the next day, all maddie felt was pure embarrassment and regret.

as she read a book from her grandparents library to get her mind off of timothée, her phone began to ring. maddie threw the book and ran up the stairs, hoping to see timothée's contact name. as she caught her breath and picked up her phone what she saw was
camille<3.

she let out a frustrated groan. "hello" maddie picked up the phone. "bonjour maddie, est-ce que ça va?" are you okay? camille asked through the phone. "oui oui" maddie responded slowly walking back down the stairs.

"bon, je voulais voir si tu voulais aller à la fête au lac ce soir avec moi" i wanted to see if you would like to go to the party at the lake with me, camille asked.

"only you?" maddie asked knowing camille loved to go to parties in groups. "yes maddie, but you need to find a ride back home" maddie knew there was a but after. "oui oui c'est bien bon allons-y" yes yes it's fine let's go, maddie replied.

˚ ˚ ࿐ྂ* ˚ ˚

maddie heard camille's car outside, she kissed her mother's cheek and said goodbye as she jogged out to meet camille. "bonjour beauté" camille said complimenting maddie.

"bonjour camille" maddie smiled putting her seatbelt on. the two girls sang along to the radio on the ride to the lake. "who's your ride back?" camille said with an accent.

camille was always wanting to speak in english because she wanted to better her accent. "nobody, i'm going to walk home" maddie said.

camille pouted and held maddie's hand, "i'm sorry i cant drive you back, it's just.. i'm going to meet this boy after". maddie 'oooo'd and wiggled her eyebrows at camille as she laughed. "it's okay, camille" she sympathised.

the girls arrived at the lake and got out of the car, linking arms. "viens" camille says leading her somewhere. "timothée!" camille says towards where she was heading.

maddie abruptly stopped, pulling camille back with her. "what?" camille asked. maddie debates on telling camille, but decided to keep it to herself. "y'a des cailloux dans me chaussure" rock in my shoe, maddie chuckled, fake fixing her shoe. camille nodded and waited. then the two walked over to the group of people sitting on the rocks next to the lake.

"bonjour" some girls said to maddie and camille. "bonjour madame" maddie said, being polite. to the sound of maddie's voice timothée's head shot up.

suddenly timothée got up and started gathering his beer and tried to get away. "timothée!" camille stopped him. he had his back facing the girls but maddie could tell what his face looked like. he slowly turned around and smiled, "hi".

camille dragged maddie to where timothée was as camille hugged timothée and moved to the side so timothée and maddie could hug.

the two awkwardly hugged but then maddie felt herself get comfortable and pull him into a tighter hug. as she did, timothée wrapped his arms around her waist and did the same. the two pulled away, their faces only inches apart.

then from the other side of the lake louis yelled as he cannonballed into the the lake. as timothée looked and laughed at louis he could feel maddie's stare on him. then maddie pushed her away away from the group and went to sit closer to the lake.

maddie occasionally danced with her friends but then went back to sitting by the lake.

"hey" she heard timothée say as he sat next to her. she felt butterflies in her stomach as he was so close to her.

"hi" she said, her voice barley above a whisper. neither of them said anything for a while until maddie said, "why are you ignoring me?".

timothée's face didn't change, as if he was expecting the question. yet he didn't reply. "is it because i was so clingy that night?" maddie tried to make a joke.

timothée chuckled and looked at maddie. he put his hand on the side of her face, "no". "then why?" maddie asked, getting nervous as he caresses her face. "it's nothing" he said suddenly stopping and looking out into the lake.

"oh" maddie said. a million thoughts ran through maddie's head as the two sat in an awkward silence. maddie leaned her head on timothée's shoulder and she felt him flinch.

she turned so her nose was against his body and placed a kiss on his shoulder. she looked up to see if he had reacted. but all she saw was timothée looking up at the sky as the moonlight hit his face.

maddie sighed and went back to just laying her head on his shoulder. soon timothée rested his head on top of hers.

"who's taking you home" timothée whispered. "you" maddie said boldly. timothée smiled, "good".