chapter sixteen

"ugh" maddie groaned as light hit her eyes. she fluttered her eyes as she tried to look around the room. she saw a light pink chair and immediately sat up. camille on the ground, her arm around a throw pillow and sarah.. where's sarah? a retching sound is heard from a far room.

maddie knew it was sarah and got to her feet. as maddie shuffled to the bathroom she looked around sarah's home. she'd only been there twice; once when they were 12 for a birthday party and another two years ago when sarah begged maddie to tuck her in. "sar?" maddie asked leaning her head on the doorframe as she looked at her friend, hunched over the toilet.

sarah looked up and gave a weak smile. "hi maddie" sarah said weakly. maddie pouted and kneeled down next to her as she rubbed her back. "you want some medicine?" maddie asked, concerned for her friend.

sarah shook her head "no.. no. i'm fine" as she wiped her mouth. maddie looked at all other sarah's features and she held her hair back when she leaned back to the toilet.

"mom? we're home" maddie announced as she closed the door behind her and camille. "hey girls," maddie's mother sat at the kitchen counter, "camille, i need to take you to the airport soon". camille nodded with a sad smile and headed to maddie's room to pack her things.

"why does she have to leave so soon?" maddie pouted looking at her mother. "maddie, she cant stay here for long without her parents, you know that" maddie huffed and went to help camille. camille was crouched next to the closet with her suitcase open. "so this is it" maddie said sitting next to her.

camille nodded her head and opened her mouth to say something when maddie's phone beeped. maddie reached into her pocket.

timmy
hey
maddie
can we talk

maddie let out a sigh and threw her phone onto the bed, turning her attention back to camille. camille gave her a confused face and maddie smiled, folding articles of clothing.

"je t'aime maddie, okay?" camille said giving her one last hug. maddie tried to push down the lump in her throat but nothing worked. she gave her a smile, wiping away tears falling from her eyes. "see you next summer" maddie's mother said waving to camille.

"she was fun" sarah said reminiscing camille, as the three girls walked to school. maddie laughed, "yeah, that's camille for you". the three walked in silence for a few blocks till maya asked, "and... timothée?". maddie was taken back, "what about him?".

"how are you guys?" maya said, noticing maddie's pace increased. "good? fine?" maddie responded, more trying to convince herself than maya. maya nodded her head, taking the cue to change the subject.

maddie laid her head in her arms, waiting for first period to begin. while tiffany talked on and on about her weekend, all maddie could do was close her eyes, not think about anything. "hey" she heard a voice speak to tiffany and she stopped talking.

"hi!" tiffany said, maddie could tell she was smiling. "can i sit there? for today" maddie picked her head up, recognising the voice. tiffany quickly got up and moved over to the seat timothée was siting in before.

maddie watched as she moved and tiffany looked at maddie giving her a thumbs up. she looked back to the boy sitting next to her and laid her head back down. timothée let his hand brush through her hair as he admired her.

"hey" he whispered as he leaned towards her. maddie mumbled a "hi" into her arm. "i missed you" he said as he smoothed her hair. maddie hummed into her arm. timothée moved his hand to her face and moved her head up so she was looking at him.

maddie looked at him, over all his features and smiled. timothée cupped her face and laid a kiss on her lips. maddie's face was flushed and she giggled, "what was that for?". timothée laid a hand on her cheek, "i'm sorry for.. pressuring you the other day".

maddie sat up "no.. you didn't, not at all. i just.. you still have feelings for that girl and i don't want to start something that won't.. end happily". maddie fumbled with her fingers as timothée's gaze stood on her.

"i don't like her" timothée stated. maddie raised an eyebrow "you don't?". timothée chuckled as the bell rang and the two stood up, facing each other. timothée kissed maddie passionately one last time. "it's you i like, madeline".