chapter nine

the next day maddie had slept through her alarm. "madeline" her mother shook her awake. "hm" maddie groaned in her sleep. "you're late, get up" her mom told her. maddie's head shot up and she scurried to the bathroom to get ready. she then quickly rushed to her room to put on clothes.

"where are all my clothes?!" maddie shrieked looking in her closet. "oh my god!" she heard her mother in the kitchen. "what?" maddie yelled.

"i forgot to pick them up from the laundry!" her mother informed her. maddie stood in shock, "you washed ALL my clothes?". she heard a tiny "yes" from the kitchen.

"wait!" her mother said rushing to her own room. she then brought maddie's suitcase into her room. maddie stood looking at the suitcase and her mother with a questioning look. "your clothes from this summer! you never unpacked" her mother said.

"i'm not wearing that" maddie crossed her arms. "what? why not?" her mother raised an eyebrow. "that's.. that's not me" she stuttered. "madeline.. you have no other clothes. get ready" she left the room.

maddie sighed and looked up at the ceiling. she opened the suitcase and looked at all the clothes. she pulled out a baby blue skirt and a matching baby blue sweater camille had gifted her. "jesus" maddie sighed.

she rushed to put the clothes and and leave the house. "and who said that's not you?" maddie's mom exclaimed as her daughter left her room. "this is all camille's" maddie grabbed her backpack and gave her mother a kiss on the cheek. "au revoir" maddie's mom said as maddie shut the front the door.

maddie rushed to home room as the bell was about to ring, fortunately she had made it on time. "hello maddie" ms. bisset greeted her. maddie, out of breath, simply nodded and smiled as she walked to her seat next to tiffany.

"you look different" tiffany said. maddie looked over at her with an annoyed look. "not a bad different! just, i didn't think you'd wear this. but you look gorgeous. your body look so good with that skirt and that sweater. the sweater is perfect. you should wear stuff like that more oft-" tiffany's ranting was cut off by ms. bisset. "tiffany" she scolded her. "sorry" tiffany apologised and put her head down.

maddie covered her face, embarrassed of her outfit. in her years at laguardia, never once would she ever think of wearing something like this to school. ms. bisset took attendance just before the bell had rung and maddie quickly took off to her next class, not wanting to see timothée or any of her other friends.

"wow!" sarah exclaimed as maddie walked towards her. "shut up" maddie walked straight to the next class, sarah catching up. "you look good! i don't get why you're mad" sarah complimented maddie.

"i never wear this" maddie explained. "i saw those photos of you in france, girlie. it is you" sarah said walking into class with maddie. maddie sighed fixing her skirt as she sat in her seat.

the day consisted of maddie rushing to her next class, not wanting her friends to see her. "lunch lunch lunch lunch" sarah repeatedly sang as she sat down with maddie at their lunch table. "your outfit is so cute, maddie!" her friend, maya, mentioned.

maddie smiled and thanked her as she picked at her food. she ate and listened to the conversation with her friends until someone caught her eye. timothée walked through the doors with a girl under his arm.

maddie subconsciously looked up and made eye contact with timothée. she immediately looked back down at her food but couldn't help herself from looking back up at them. she was pretty, blonde, with a nice body.

as maddie stared at her, maya said, "carla". maddie looked over at her, "what?". she nodded her head towards the girl, "her name is carla". they both looked at the girl and suddenly she looked back.

the two girls quickly turned their heads completely in the other direction. after a few seconds they both chuckled. maddie layed her head on maya's shoulder, "oh my god. i'm never staring at someone again".