chapter seventeen

"timothée!" maddie said jumping into his arms. timothée let out a grunt as he dropped the object in his hand to wrap his arms around maddie's waist. "hello" timothée whispered as the two came face to face.

maddie smiled and placed a kiss on his nose. timothée reached down to pick up his items then interlocked his free hand with maddie's. "so," maddie said leaning her head on his arm, "summers soon". timothée nodded, looking forward, "yup".

timothée and maddie had yet to put a label on what they were, whenever they introduced each other to others it became awkward. "this is my..." timothée would look at maddie not knowing what to say. they ended up saying friend.

"are you still going to france?" maddie asked. timothée nodded giving her a smile from the corner of his mouth. "cool" maddie whispered to herself.

she looked up to meet his green eyes but he kept his eyes focused forward, his adam's apple bouncing as he gulped. "you okay?" maddie asked. timothée looked down at her and nodded his head quickly, "yeah.. yeah".

"see you next year" tiffany giggled, hugging maddie tight as the final bell of the school year rang. "bye tif" maddie gave her a small smile as they pulled away. but quickly tiffany pulled maddie back in and whispered in her ear, "if you don't date timothée over the summer, i will um.. i don't know what i'll but you should do it!". maddie let out a laugh as tiffany pulled away with a giant grin on her face. "i'll try, i'll try" maddie said, gathering her books.

"what time are you leaving?" timothée's voice rasped over the phone. "ohhh, you trying to seduce me?" maddie said as she finished packing her clothes into her suitcase. laughed erupted on the other side as timothée defended himself, clearing his throat. "shut up" timothée said with a clearer voice. maddie sat on her bed, crossing her feet, "11 am". timothée hummed over the phone. the two stayed silent for a moment. "i'll be there next week" timothée whispered. "i know" maddie whispered back. "see you then, gorgeous" timothée said.

"MADDIE!" she heard behind her as maddie's mother had rolled the last suitcase out of the car. maddie quickly turned, immediately recognising the voice of her best friend. gravel kicked under camille's feet as she ran into maddie's arms, maddie wrapping her arms around camille's lower torso. "i missed you" camille whispered into maddie's honey hair. "i missed you too!" maddie said pulling away from the girl. as the two faces came into each other's view, smiles and laughter broke out.

"where's timothée?" camille asked. camille sat on the kitchen island while maddie cut up fruits on the counter. "he's.. coming soon" maddie said looking back at camille with a smile. "so.. what are you two?" camille asked, slowly lowering herself to the ground. maddie groaned, throwing her head back. "this is the fifth time you've asked me this week!" maddie exclaimed. camille couldn't help but let a smile form on her face. "i know! i know! it's just.. vous avez évidemment le béguin" you obviously have a crush.

"psh... no i don't" maddie said while putting the cut up fruit in a bowl, handing it to camille. "whatever you say" camille said budding shoulders with maddie as the two walked outside.

it's been two weeks since maddie arrived.
i'll be there next week
timothée's words repeated in her head while her finger hovered over his contact name. she let out a sigh, finally pressing the button. the line rang while maddie slumped down in a chair on the patio. after a few rings she heard, "hey". she slightly rolled her eyes, "hi". "what's up?" timothée asked. "what do you mean what's up?" maddie asked as if it was obvious why she was calling. "um... did i do something?" timothée asked, eyebrows furrowing although maddie couldn't see him.

"when are you coming.. timothée, are you even coming at all?" maddie scolded him through the telephone. a sigh came from the other line. "mad-" timothée began. "do you know how many days i sat in my bed wondering, hm.. when will timothée come? when will me and timothée get to go to the lake together?". the silence between the two lines felt so loud. "so again.. i ask, are you coming" maddie said firmly.

timothée clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth as he sat against the headboard of his bed. "yeah... i am, maddie. just not now or even soon. probably towards the end of summer" timothée explained. maddie scoffed over the phone. "and why didn't you just say that from the start?" maddie asked tilting her head to the side, although he couldn't see her. "i-i... i just, i knew you would act like this!" timothée exclaimed letting his hand fall into his lap.

"like what?" maddie asked furrowing her eyebrows. "like you're acting now! if i had told you, you would've gotten mad at me for not wanting to go earlier and now you're mad i wanted to save myself from your lecture on," timothée began. "whatever, maddie. just... i'll be there soon" timothée stopped himself before he said something he didn't mean. "a lecture on what?" maddie said lowly with little emotion. timothée stayed silent. "come on timothée, tell me! a lecture on what exactly?" maddie said pressuring him.

"just forget it maddie" timothée said firmly. "no, come on! tell me. i want to hear all about this crazy lecture i would go on" maddie said crossing her leg over another. she was expecting timothée to explain further but all she was met with was the sound of him hanging up the call. maddie's jaw dropped. "hello?" maddie said before taking the phone away from her ear and only to see her home screen of her and camille staring back at her. maddie's hand tightened around the phone and she threw her head back into her pillow. "ugh!" she let out in frustration.